Sapphire Radeon HD 7950

TreeCup

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2010
Hello!

I have an oddly specific and, from my sever hours of searching the internet, very unique problem that only shows itself in certain places.

I only noticed this first after I bought Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition of steam this weekend.

http://imgur.com/Isa7vY7

http://imgur.com/jh5gmMR

As you can see from the picture, he has pink, cone like lines flying off of him, and they move around, along with gray patches that appear when the character and any other humanoid creature, or for that matter any creature in the game seemed to have these gray patches. Now in my head, the looming thought of an RMA was floating by, until I checked other games and they worked flawlessly. So at first, it seemed like a very specific to dark souls issue.

However, this in fact was not true. I noticed odd, snowlike graphical anomalies all around the backgrounds in certain areas and even noticeable more in the steam overlay. These were new to me, but they seemed similar due to the fact they too moved around sparraticly much like the pink offshoots and gray patches.

A few days later, while still trying to figure this out, I went into my CCC to change some settings, all of the sudden, I notice something odd in the color section of the video tab. The little video they have playing in the CCC window to show video color and quality also has these odd sparratic white snow like anomalies, this is when I figured It could not be mearly Dark Souls. Also may I add it is very hard to screencap the amd CCC anomalies because of it being hard to point out, but i assure you they look almost 100% the same as the ones in the following picture.

Look to the mountains to see them
http://imgur.com/dVCg4fx

I have tried everything in my power, I am fairly knowledgeable with computers I have tried all settings imaginable, along with trying it on different displays, different V-sync options, making sure the card is in the PCI slot properly, making sure this only happens in CCC and dark souls, I have tried both the newest Video driver 13.2 and 13.1, none others yet.

Honestly Im not going to RMA the card because one game has this issue, but the fact I can see it in CCC is a bit offputting. I have tried contacting the support service available from the publisher of Dark Souls, Namco, and they offered fairly general things to try that eneded up not working either.

I am at my wits end with this honestly, everything I think of simpily cannot be right or is proven wrong, my psu can handle the card, the card is in right, nothing seems to be broken, all connections are good, even the DVI cable and monitor is fine.

I dont have that many things I NEED on this computer so a full scale preemptive strike on my hard drive wouldnt really phase me other than the new driver installs being tedious, I just don't know what else to do.

Here's my Specs

------------------
System Information
------------------
Time of this report: 2/21/2013, 15:04:59
Machine name: TREECUP-PC
Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601) Service Pack 1 (7601.win7sp1_gdr.130104-1431)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
System Model: GA-78LMT-S2
BIOS: Award Modular BIOS v6.00PG
Processor: AMD FX(tm)-8320 Eight-Core Processor (8 CPUs), ~2.9GHz
Memory: 8192MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 8174MB RAM
Page File: 2518MB used, 13826MB available
Windows Dir: C:\Windows
DirectX Version: DirectX 11
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
User DPI Setting: Using System DPI
System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled
DxDiag Version: 6.01.7601.17514 64bit Unicode

---------------
Display Devices
---------------
Card name: AMD Radeon HD 7900 Series
Manufacturer: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
Chip type: AMD Radeon Graphics Processor (0x679A)
DAC type: Internal DAC(400MHz)
Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_679A&SUBSYS_3000174B&REV_00
Display Memory: 2787 MB
Dedicated Memory: 3053 MB
Shared Memory: 3830 MB
Current Mode: 1920 x 1080 (32 bit) (60Hz)
Monitor Name: Generic PnP Monitor
Monitor Model: SMEX2220
Monitor Id: SAM0686
Native Mode: 1920 x 1080(p) (60.000Hz)
Output Type: DVI
Driver Name: aticfx64.dll,aticfx64.dll,aticfx64.dll,aticfx32,aticfx32,aticfx32,atiumd64.dll,atidxx64.dll,atidxx64.dll,atiumdag,atidxx32,atidxx32,atiumdva,atiumd6a.cap,atitmm64.dll
Driver File Version: 8.17.0010.1172 (English)

the card is OC'ed and the processor too, but I have gotten rid of those and tried it before, once again, nothing. please, any help is greatly appreciated, thank you in advance. I will be glad to provide more info if needed.

Hmm, well the first couple of pictures you posted look very much like you are experiencing artifacting but at the same time it looks like tearing as well. If that were to be the case that could be permanent damage on the card.
Yea I would return the card or RMA as you suggested if you had just purchased the card I would return it otherwise I guess you are faced with working with the manufacture to get a replacement.

dalethepcman

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2010
If this is happening more frequently its probably bad vram. If you only overclocked the card using the ATI drivers you should RMA it. If you overclocked using afterburner or some third party app, your probably up a creek.

Why anyone would overclock brand new hardware to get the maximum in FPS is beyond me. Once your @ 60fps, nothing else matters unless you do it for bragging (how fast you can burn money) rights

TreeCup

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2010

I get why I should RMA it I really do, and yes the only game this is noticeable in is Dark souls, and of course the CCC video preview thing. It just seems like such a over reactive thing to do when it only happens in one game. I also just fiddled with it a little, it becomes more apparent when I crank up video quality settings, now im more confused.

TRENDING THREADS