Books on sound systems

Last response: in Home Audio
October 17, 2004 4:38:16 PM

I would like to seriously educate myself in sound system engineering
and would appreciate recommendations of a book or books. I'm on the
wrong side of 50, grey cells slowing down, with a limited time to set
aside each day. And though I have some experience in sound systems and
electronics, much of it was before everything went digital. I live in
such a remote place that there are no books that I can examine in the
local library or bookshops. OTOH, I'm used to having to gather every
scrap of knowledge by myself.

The ideal book for me would be one that isn't too heavy on Maths and
abstract theory, but is not superficial or amateurish, with a good
balance of theory and practice. To those old enough to remember when
"Radiotron Designer's Handbook" was the bible of entertainment
electronics, dear old RDH is an example of what I mean by a good
balance of theory and practical design. With emphasis on acoustics and
sound systems rather than on the electronics, of course.

I've seen "Sound System Engineering" by Don Davis & Carolyn Davis,
Howard Sams, 2nd Edition, 1987, but I didn't have time to do more than
glance at the contents list and flip through a few pages. Is this a
good book ? Is it quite outdated ? Is there a newer edition ? Is there
any book that's regarded as THE reference book, much the same as RDH
used to be in its own field ?

Thanks in advance for any advice or suggestion.

More about : books sound systems

Anonymous
October 18, 2004 1:11:58 PM

the best and easiest to access collection of books can be found on the
AudioXpress website www.audioxpress.com from neophyte to pro.

"XThing" <pjdd@rediffmail.com> wrote in message
> I would like to seriously educate myself in sound system engineering
> and would appreciate recommendations of a book or books. I'm on the
> wrong side of 50, grey cells slowing down, with a limited time to set
> aside each day. And though I have some experience in sound systems and
> electronics, much of it was before everything went digital. I live in
> such a remote place that there are no books that I can examine in the
> local library or bookshops. OTOH, I'm used to having to gather every
> scrap of knowledge by myself.
>
> The ideal book for me would be one that isn't too heavy on Maths and
> abstract theory, but is not superficial or amateurish, with a good
> balance of theory and practice. To those old enough to remember when
> "Radiotron Designer's Handbook" was the bible of entertainment
> electronics, dear old RDH is an example of what I mean by a good
> balance of theory and practical design. With emphasis on acoustics and
> sound systems rather than on the electronics, of course.
>
> I've seen "Sound System Engineering" by Don Davis & Carolyn Davis,
> Howard Sams, 2nd Edition, 1987, but I didn't have time to do more than
> glance at the contents list and flip through a few pages. Is this a
> good book ? Is it quite outdated ? Is there a newer edition ? Is there
> any book that's regarded as THE reference book, much the same as RDH
> used to be in its own field ?
>
> Thanks in advance for any advice or suggestion.
October 20, 2004 10:18:39 AM

On 17 Oct 2004 12:38:16 -0700, pjdd@rediffmail.com (XThing) wrote:

>I would like to seriously educate myself in sound system engineering
>and would appreciate recommendations of a book or books. I'm on the
>wrong side of 50, grey cells slowing down, with a limited time to set
>aside each day. And though I have some experience in sound systems and
>electronics, much of it was before everything went digital. I live in
>such a remote place that there are no books that I can examine in the
>local library or bookshops. OTOH, I'm used to having to gather every
>scrap of knowledge by myself.
>
>The ideal book for me would be one that isn't too heavy on Maths and
>abstract theory, but is not superficial or amateurish, with a good
>balance of theory and practice. To those old enough to remember when
>"Radiotron Designer's Handbook" was the bible of entertainment
>electronics, dear old RDH is an example of what I mean by a good
>balance of theory and practical design. With emphasis on acoustics and
>sound systems rather than on the electronics, of course.
>
>I've seen "Sound System Engineering" by Don Davis & Carolyn Davis,
>Howard Sams, 2nd Edition, 1987, but I didn't have time to do more than
>glance at the contents list and flip through a few pages. Is this a
>good book ? Is it quite outdated ? Is there a newer edition ? Is there
>any book that's regarded as THE reference book, much the same as RDH
>used to be in its own field ?
>
>Thanks in advance for any advice or suggestion.

The Rane pro audio reference list is a good place to find
recommendations for titles of interest.

http://www.rane.com/par-book.html

I like the Sound Reinforcement Handbook written for Yamaha by Gary
Davis and Ralph Jones.

For Digital Audio, I like the book Principles of Digital Audio by Ken
Pohlman. Informative and easy to read.

Dave