Graphics Card and Motherboard Problems

Superalex11

Honorable
Feb 22, 2013
Okay, so about a month ago I made a brand new computer, all new components, including a Gigabyte GTX 650Ti. About a week ago, however, I turned my computer back on to find that there was no display coming from the graphics card. It worked fine with the onboard video, but not when I plugged the vga cable back into the card. I searched around a lot, but to no prevail. Three or four days ago a new card came in the mail (EVGA Geforce GTX 650Ti) that I had bought just to see if it was the card that was the problem. I am testing it today, but there is still no display. I'm not sure what to do now, as I have ensured that all power cables within the computer are plugged in properly, checked all connections with both cards to both PCI-E slots, and made sure the monitor's vga cable is plugged in securely.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My Specs:

Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (Onboard Graphics: Intel HD Graphics 4000)
First Attempted Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 650Ti
Second Attempted Graphics Card: EVGA Geforce GTX 650Ti
CPU: Intel Core i5 3570K(overclocked to a max of 4.0GHz)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thanks in advance!

Can you list what you've done to try to fix this though? Have you pulled out the CMOS battery/reset the BIOS? What's the wattage on the PSU?

Also it occurs to me you mentioned a VGA cable, while cards at this range don't always include onboard VGA. Were you using a DVD to VGA adapter, if so have you considered this could be bad?

Superalex11

Honorable
Feb 22, 2013

Unfortunately, no.

Well, so far I've tried both cards in both slots, resetting the BIOS, getting a new power supply, but that's about it. I see you've mentioned pulling out the CMOS battery? What is that? Is that the battery next to the PCI-E slots?

If there's a problem with that adapter, sure. Do you have another adapter to try? The new card might have come with it's own adapter.

batty251

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2011
if you have a tv with a hdmi input try it on the tv try the hdmi but if not then did you try seeing if in the bios its set to display only integrated graphics ? sometimes it would be stupid and change it to be that or try reinstalling the drivers

with the x77 chipset make sure you have all the bios patches. look in the bios make sure the first boot device is not ipgpu. also check that dule monitor support is turned off so that the gpu will be the main video. also see if your bios has pci bus speed settings..if your mb has pci bus speed 3.0..2.0 or auto...try setting it to 2.0 mode. if it not the card check that the pci 4/8 pin atx cable is connected and seated and all the power cables to the gpu.

Superalex11

Honorable
Feb 22, 2013

Well, the adapter I'm using came with the card, so I suppose it wouldn't be broken or anything.

Unfortunately for the tv, no. And I did actually check in the BIOS for that, but I didn't see anything about that.

Hmmm. Well, my guess is that it would be under display adapters? If so, then no, it isn't there, just the integrated graphics (Intel HD Graphics 4000). Although if it isn't, in the 'Other Devices' category, there is an unknown device in it.

Hmmm. I'll have a look.

Edit:

Well, I looked in the BIOS, but to my surprise, I couldn't find any of that. :/

Superalex11

Honorable
Feb 22, 2013
Hm. Well I just googled around a bunch and read that there may be dust or something in the slots for the graphics card. So I did what it said and lightly brushed them out with a paintbrush, but it still didn't work.

Superalex11

Honorable
Feb 22, 2013
Could someone help, please? The problem is still persisting. I've tried everything I could find, and none of it is making sense so far (the reason for it not working properly). :??:

Superalex11

Honorable
Feb 22, 2013
Okay, so I came across some stuff on some other sites, and I ended up trying to reinstall the graphics drivers. In doing so, though, the installation wizard didn't even recognize the hardware itself. Just a little update.

batty251

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2011
Well if its not in your device manager under display then its not even being seen by your computer and your gpu could be defective or your pice 2.0 or 3.0 could not be working on the motherboard and yes one or 2 slots can go bad and the whole motherboard can still work