GTX 570 idling too hot?

SHIELDHEAD

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2009
Hey guys,
I've had my GTX 570 for well over 2 years now and I'm just curious if my idle temps are really that bad.whenever I'm at my desktop whether it's summer or winter I usually idle around 60C-65C at auto fanspeed on MSI Afterburner. However, my load temps in a game such as Crysis 3 it never breaks 85C which is more than fine from what I've read. So do you guys think this is ok??? It has run around these temps ever since I got the card 2 years ago and I've cleaned it out multiple time and repositioned my desktop and still no changes occured. I also moved the card to my lower pci-e slot away from my CPU and still no changes...

For reference, my CPU(Core i5 750 @ 3.2ghz) idles around 30C and never breaks 40C under load.

**This card has never been overclocked!

Headbomb

Honorable
Oct 29, 2012
Yup, I would suggest cleaning the card. Removing all the dust and maybe even changing the thermal paste on the chip. Also, What case do you have? That could affect the thermals.

SHIELDHEAD

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2009

I have a lancool pc k62, 2 fans on top, 1 fan in front, and 1 fan in the back

SHIELDHEAD

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2009

Do you have any links that can point me towards how to do this safely and properly. I've never taken apart a graphics card, but I built my computer and have fixed my xbox internally several times so I have a general idea lol. Also I'm a poor college kid and I can't afford breaking a $350 graphics card.

SHIELDHEAD

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2009
So after some googling and research, it turns out my problem could be due to my core voltage being too high by default. However, from what I've read the default voltage is different from card to card and I could've just gotten the runt of the litter... My default core voltage is 1.05V from MSI Afterburner and many other people claim theres to be around the .95V range. Could this be the problem?

SHIELDHEAD

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2009

Yes! this is probably my issue. My clock speeds dont drop below 732 and I have no clue why. They used to and I guess I just never checked them...

antherion

Honorable
Mar 5, 2012
Try checking the power saving option of the GPU under Manage 3D Setting tab in the NVIDIA Control Panel—make sure that it is under adaptive instead of prefer maximum performance (which will maintain full clock regardless of condition).

Definitely do a full clean install of the latest Nvidia drivers off their website, as clean as you can possibly do it. That should fix the problem. For me, restarting the game or PC always fixed it as well. If neither of those fixes the issue, I think you have a faulty card.

SHIELDHEAD

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2009

Doing it as we speak. I'm reinstalling and checking the clean install box and running driver sweeper after my uninstall of the drivers. I'll get back to you guys when I'm done!