PLEASE HELP NEW GPU

spitball91

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2011
Hey guys so I have been posting on here a lot lately about getting a GPU and I finally decided on a Sapphire HD 7870 XT and it finally showed today after a long week of waiting for it to ship. Anyways I was happy I got it and got it out plugged it in to my pc and everything but when I turned it on it's acting like it can't detect it??? I don't understand why its acting this way because I have my HDMI running through the card as I type this and it displays, but when I go into my bios and into my device hardware it doesn't detect it. In my device manager it says "Standard VGA Graphics Adapter" so I don't get it?? Is it my mobo, because a while back about 6 or so months ago I had a Sapphire 6450 plugged in and let's say I touched it and didn't mean to and it went out but the rest of my pc runs just fine no problems doesn't run any slower or anything it displays just fine through the mobo plug in with no problems. So I don't understand is because of the old drivers it's not detecting?? It lets my Res go up to 1360 x 768 so it's detecting something I guess I don't understand its not DOA or it wouldn't display right?? I don't get it and I'm very worried and stressed that I might have to change something else on my computer, I have never had problems with stuff not working and I have changed my cpu and my ram and power supply's and computer cases and everything has worked just fine, Please help I'm getting very upset over this I just spent 260 on this card and I don't want to waste time having to change more things or wait for newegg or sapphire to send my a new card just to find out it's something else that was easy to fix. I have enough power for the card so that's not the problem either I don't assume.

My specs
CPU: AMD Phenom ii x4 965 BE 3.4 GHz
PSU: Corsair CX500 500w (I was tolled this would work just fine for the card no problem so I got it)
RAM: Rip jaws 8 gigs 1600 MHz
Please help guys I'm getting a headache over this :(

So if you are looking at this through the new display card then you just have to instll the video drivers. You should have had a disk with the card and then you can update them from the internet.

When it's shown as a standard VGA adapter this means that the driver for the card is not present. What's your maximum monitor resolution? Is it 1080P? it's just the same story for the resolution, when the driver is not present it just maxes out itself to 1360 or 1440 depending on your monitor.

Just download the latest CCC from AMD and uninstall any old drivers and everything should work fine.

batty251

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2011
to delete your old drivers download driver sweeper once that is downloaded go into control panel and go to programs and features click on the amd cata install manager then go to express uninstall all the very last option once that is done restart your pc when its finish restarting go into driver sweeper click on amd display then click clean and restart after that and then install the new drivers

i know there is another way but its much more harder and my way dose work because when i install new drivers and do that step and click custom install i click on all the things that are going to be installed and all say to me not installed so yes this way works and its much easier to remember