MN720 will not connect on startup

JS

This stopped working after working fine for almost six
months. I have a XP laptop with all the latest Updates
and I have kept the router's firmware up-to-date.

If I reboot or power on the laptop with the card on the
slot, it gets power and even the XP status icon will show
connection to the SSID and its signal strength. But the
card does not get an IP address.

If I poser on the system and then insert the card
everything works fine. I have tried disabling most
startup programs both on the Startup folder and the
registry, but the problems continues.

Any Ideas?

did you turn on DHCP on the Base station/router and for
the wireless card?

JS

Yes I have DHCP enabled on the base station. I have two
other computers on the network, connected with wireless
and wired devices (both PCI), and neither one of them has
this problem. It seems to be only on this XP Laptop.

Since you're running Windows XP on the laptop, do you have Wireless Zero
Configuration enabled in Control Panel/Administrative Tools/Services?
--
Chris H.
Microsoft Windows MVP

"JS" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Yes I have DHCP enabled on the base station. I have two
> other computers on the network, connected with wireless
> and wired devices (both PCI), and neither one of them has
> this problem. It seems to be only on this XP Laptop.

Yes, this service is enabled

Have you looked in Internet Explorer/Tools/Internet Options/Connections to
make sure you don't have anything listed there. Sometimes people will have
a proxy set up or perhaps a remnant from using dial-up. That should be
clean. Also click on the LAN Settings... button. At most, you would only
want a check mark in Automatically detect settings.
--
Chris H.
Microsoft Windows MVP