Help with my startup and shutdown please

G

My new computer with win 98 2nd edition is having some problems with startup and shut down and I am wondering if anyone can help.

When I first boot up my POST screen last exactly 7 seconds. This isn't a big deal but I though it was just to flash for like 1 second or so.

When I shut down or restart from the start-shutdown buttons I get a blue screen but the blue screen stays up for over 30 seconds then the computer shuts off? I KNOW that this isnt right and this is extremely annoying because I always think that it is frozen.

Does anyone have any ideas to fix these problems?
BTW im running ecsk7s5a,512ddr,cdburner,80gighd,onboard lan,pny gf3 ti 200, audigy xgamer,floppy,340 watt enlight PSU, win 98 second edition

Thanks for any help

Chamrajnagar

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2002
Maybe you need a BIOS update. But POST screens run at different speeds on different systems. Do you have the memory checker disabled in the BIOS?

What kind of error message do you see in the BSOD? Is it the same message each time?

Use the Task Manager (Ctrl+Alt+Del) to kill all processes except Explorer and Systray before you shut down. If this fixes the problem, Windows is having problems shutting down a program component. You can use MSCONFIG at the Start/Run line to permanently shut down the offending file that is causing the problem.

If the file is a device driver, you'll need to discover which one from the BSOD, and upgrade or remove it.

You might also need this: <A HREF="http://www.microsoft.com/windows98/downloads/contents/WURecommended/S_WUFeatured/Win98SE/Default.asp" target="_new">Windows 98 Second Edition Shutdown Supplement</A>.

Chamra