I don't get this... bottleneck or what?

john1587

Honorable
Jan 23, 2013
I am playing Hitman Absolution 1080p, Ultra quality, mssa off and ssao normal if you ask.
I have 8gb of 1600mhz ram, evga 660 ti sc and phenom 965 BE@ 4.0ghz.

I have vsync on so I usually play at constant 60 FPS but when I see a huge croud or a very large open area with various objects my frame rate drops, but the thing is I cant see any reason, as you see my GPU is only being used 46 % and the frame rate is 37 FPS

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

For other side my CPU is only being used 55 % so why is this big frame drop?, please dont tell me that 30 FPS is a decent fps or anything similar, I just want to know why? maybe not very optimized game? I have seen this same issue playing far cry 3 :/

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Solution

That's exactly the problem he is having.

The game is badly optimized.

CPU_01.png

You need to throw cpu power at it.

Overclocked 3570k.

Time to upgrade.

batty251

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2011
as soon as i saw that you had 30fps a phantom and a 660ti you do have a bottle neck games like this will use 4 cores you will need a upgrade to a 4 core or if u wanna future proof then a 6 core because games now use 4 core but the next gen games will be starting to come out this year or next and well i think they would use more then 4 cores

john1587

Honorable
Jan 23, 2013

I dont understand what you say, I have a Phenom II 965, it is a Quadcore

batty251

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2011
apparently it dose i didn't know my bad but it apparently dose not use the 4 cores like it should check make sure u have it up to date if you do then amd have not made a 4 core cpu like it says it has because 4 cores should handle that game and your graphics cards i suggest just getting a new cpu maybe try bulldozer i hear good things about that one but im not sure in terms of sockets im more intel based

batty251

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2011
30 fps with a 660ti and you blame drivers ? even with bad drivers and game optimization it should still be 40 or 50 fps if it was good game optimization and good drivers the card would run 60+ its a bottle neck saw the same thing on this video

Linus hit's it on the head again. I should have made videos.

Same thing I learned by trial and error. but what Linus didn't do is junk the core 2 duo dual core for a higher end 775 quad core. I dropped my dual core 6850 well before it was deemed "rational' by the community. Too many people like to hang on to "the old ways" before experimenting on their own. And it's difficult to argue with those that know better.

it's also not just about how many fps you get. but rather, can I play smoothly or not?

can you play smoothly or are you just worried about frame rates?

I still use a q9550 for most of my gaming. It always was and still is faster than anything AMD has for gaming. I recently ran into problems with the same game he was benching in the vid. Lowering settings would have helped but transferring to an 1155 quad core, all else being the same, and those slow ups disappeared. So, as good as it is, the processor is strangling your system and appropriate sacrifices need to be made to settings and resolution. Or you need to upgrade.

maxalge

Champion
Ambassador

That's exactly the problem he is having.

The game is badly optimized.

CPU_01.png

You need to throw cpu power at it.

Overclocked 3570k.

Time to upgrade.

Solution