Sign in with
Your question

Replacing ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB GDDR5 in Dell XPS 435T

February 23, 2013 12:33:50 AM

I'm a bit worried that I'll come off as a complete buffoon here, but thought this would be a good place to ask this.

I have a 3 year old or so Dell XPS 435T (later called 9000 I believe) Desktop that came with an ATI Radeon HD 5770 card.

I was hoping to upgrade the card, but I think that I'm limited to PCI-E 2.0 cards, and everything that I can find is now PCI-E 3.0, so I think I'm not going to get away with a truly great card...but can anyone help me find a card that WILL work in this machine and is better than the 5770, or is that as good as I can get with the PCI-E 2.0 limit...???

I've upgraded the memory to 24GB, and think I might need to upgrade the power supply, but I won't need to if I am stuck with the 5770. (Current supply is 475W)

I'm less interested in high res games than I am in 3dsmax and other 3d animation/rendering packages, which makes me think I'll need to look closer at Nvidia cards.

EDIT: Maybe this makes my question moot -- is PCI-E 2.0 or 3.0 a function/attribute of the CARD, or of the ability of the PC to accept it? Meaning: my computer HAS a PCI-E 2.0 card in it, but as long as the machine will accept a PCI-E card, do the number impact my ability to install, or just the way the card runs?

Again, I'm hoping I've given enough information, but let me know. Thanks in advance,
!