Browsers crashing.

zackb101

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2011
Hello! Recently I've been getting some blue screens and constant browser crashing and so I decided to reinstall Windows 7.

So I did and I'm still experiencing frequent browser crashes and have got a blue screen about twice. I don't want to believe it's hardware related! Please help me find a solution to this problem.

zackb101

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2011

Thanks so much for the reply! I ran memtest86 and no errors there.

I also ran Hmonitor and here's what came up:

NCG1s.jpg

Please reply again if you need any more info. I'm worried my GPU may be faulty.

Edit: Not sure how accurate those readings are. I don't have any special temperature sensors installed.

zackb101

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2011

Sorry what are you asking? I posted the specs in a picture above that has all that info.

zackb101

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2011

It literally just crashes to the bug report screen and asks if I'd like to restart my browser :(

Sometimes though, with Google chrome, the page just crashes and asks me to reload it.

szaboaz

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2011
You should try to get ahold of some more information about the blue screen. Is it a plain blue screen without any characters on it?

Anyway, you should take a look into C:\Windows\minidump directory, that's where the system crash logs go to die. Maybe there're a couple recent ones, with some error code we can Google around with. Which may also help finding out, if it's hardware or software, or combination.
(If nothing there, check this out:
http://forums.techguy.org/windows-vista/851183-bsod-error-log.html or this:
http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itprogeneral/thread/a5ebab26-61ef-42a4-a2bb-0fc60ad45385/ )

How come it's the browsers, and only the browsers... What do they have in common... networking? flash? graphics acceleration?

You reported back that Memtest was OK. Have you let it go around for several passes? (I'm looking for errors in the error-finding method now, crazy :p)

You suspect it has something to do with the video cards. If you are comfortable opening up the case (precautions! static charge, etc.), have you thought of removing them and using the IntelHD for a while?

zackb101

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2011

Thanks for the help so far. I've uploaded a dump file here http://www.mediafire.com/?d6b6a8711aelwxu

I'm starting to think it's not the fans because it's not crashing with games etc and those are much more intensive, plus my temps are perfectly stable.

Please let me know if you find anything in that dump file and if not I'll try removing the graphics card for a while. Oh and also, I didn't let memtest86 run more than once, I could run it overnight tonight if you think it would increase the chances of finding something.

szaboaz

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2011
What you have uploaded is a dump, but we're gonna need a "minidump". This is a quote from one of the above linked pages:

Collect Minidump Files
=================
1. Click "Start", input "SYSDM.CPL" (without quotation marks) in the “Search” bar and press “Enter”.
2. Switch to the "Advanced" tab and click the "Settings" button under "Startup and Recovery".
3. Under "Write debugging information" section, make sure the "Small memory dump (128KB)" option is selected.
4. Make sure "%SystemRoot%\Minidump" is in the "Small dump directory" open box and click “OK”.

If the Blue Screen appears again, please refer to the following steps to collect memory dump files:

1. Click “Start”, type “%SystemRoot%\Minidump" (without quotation marks) in “Search” bar and press “Enter”.
2. Go to your Desktop, right-click on it and create a new folder named "Dump".
3. Copy all the memory dump files (looks like [Mini092008-01.dmp]) in Minidump to this folder.
4. Right-click on the Dump folder, click "Send To", and click "Compressed (zipped) Folder".
5. Please send the ZIP file to us.

zackb101

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2011

Done. I guess I'll have to wait for another blue screen.

szaboaz

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2011
Allright. In the meantime, I run a program called "WhoCrashed" (http://www.resplendence.com/downloads) on your dump file, it printed out some information on its report page:

On Tue 2012.03.27. 3:01:59 GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\032612-36753-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0x7CD40)
Bugcheck code: 0x3B (0xC0000005, 0x0, 0xFFFFF88006FCFE20, 0x0)
Error: SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION
file path: C:\Windows\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: NT Kernel & System
Bug check description: This indicates that an exception happened while executing a routine that transitions from non-privileged code to privileged code.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver which cannot be identified at this time.

Unfortunately, it doesn't tell much, googling not helping either.
Maybe if you could run this program, and we could get some clue from other dump files...
(You have to press the big green Analyze button after installation.)

szaboaz

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2011
About the other two things we talked about:
- memtest, let's say 2 passes without errors would certainly convince me
- removing the video cards, I don't think they are faulty, but by removing them, *with their drivers*, it would be a step forward

you know... change something, watch carefully. repeat.