Solved

Understanding Graphic Cards

Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
a b U Graphics card
February 23, 2013 1:42:57 AM

Hi guys, I've been looking around on the forum lately and seen many discussions about the best graphic cards, cheapest, etc. I have found myself partially lost because in quite a few discussions people have mentioned things like the HD 5870 is better than the HD 7770, which would go against common perception seeing as how it has a lower numbering. Unless lower is better than why is the 7750 not as good? So in general what I am trying to ask is can anyone explain to me the rankings of a video card, I understand that there are some grey areas and things can switch depending on overclocks, brands, and what it is being used for but can someone give me a general overview of the rankings including nvidia and amd, or two separate ones, thank you for your time and reading this long post. :) 

More about : understanding graphic cards

a b U Graphics card
February 23, 2013 1:44:51 AM

bob hays said:
Hi guys, I've been looking around on the forum lately and seen many discussions about the best graphic cards, cheapest, etc. I have found myself partially lost because in quite a few discussions people have mentioned things like the HD 5870 is better than the HD 7770, which would go against common perception seeing as how it has a lower numbering. Unless lower is better than why is the 7750 not as good? So in general what I am trying to ask is can anyone explain to me the rankings of a video card, I understand that there are some grey areas and things can switch depending on overclocks, brands, and what it is being used for but can someone give me a general overview of the rankings including nvidia and amd, or two separate ones, thank you for your time and reading this long post. :) 

Oh btw, I am also pretty clueless about sli and crossfire other than knowing that it is when you use 2+ cards of the same brand to give extra performance.
m
l

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
February 23, 2013 2:03:26 AM

They're part of a different series, time moves on cards get better. Like the 6770 vs the 7770, the 7770 is part of the Radeon 7xxx series, released after the 6xxx. But bigger numbers doesn't always mean better, for example 590 vs 650.

SLI or Crossfire aren't really relevant to low end cards, you should always go for 1 good card rather than two cheaper cards, as an extra card doesn't always give the 95%+ performance like it should. Two or more cards pretty much only makes sense when you have massive performance requirements (e.g. triple monitors, 3D, 120Hz) and single GPU solutions aren't strong enough on their own.
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
February 23, 2013 3:01:37 AM

Thank you for the help, I don't understand what you mean by the 590 vs 650 example. Is the 590 better than the 650? and if so is there a reason why they are numbered so or is it unknown?
m
l
February 23, 2013 3:06:20 AM

The 590 is an older series of the GTX but a dobbel core GPU (2x580's in 1 card)
And it performs better than the newer 650.
Though new series often includes new better techniqes so id say dont buy an older serie card unless used and very cheap.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
February 24, 2013 2:52:42 AM

Best answer selected by bob hays.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
February 24, 2013 2:52:54 AM

oh ok thank you guys very much
m
l