Sign in with
Your question

Will this power supply work with my 7970?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
February 23, 2013 2:07:12 AM

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

I'm buying the 7970 and I need to know if this will work? Here's the problem.

It's modular, but it doesn't do a good job of mapping the rails. I know 2 of them for sure (24 pin and 6, 6+2. Both hard wired) The other two are modular so I don't know if I'm putting too much stress on a single rail. I think if the picture is correct, a rail goes across the top line from black to red.(I.E. top black and red is rail 1, bottom is rail 2.)

What I am hoping to solve is if that statement is true or not. Take a look at the pictures and hopefully help me out. Also, if I'm not explaining this clearly, let me know. I want to get this card while its on sale.

More about : power supply work 7970

February 23, 2013 2:13:26 AM

holy s4it!!! you going quad sli and 5 hdd's?????
m
l
February 23, 2013 2:16:13 AM

I looks plenty good enough for what you want to do
m
l
Related resources
February 23, 2013 2:18:12 AM

ARICH5 said:
holy s4it!!! you going quad sli and 5 hdd's?????

Hadn't planned on it. Just wanting to make sure I got enough. Any thoughts on the current issue? Also, heres my build.

Maximus V gene
8gb ddr3 1.65v patriot extreme 1600
intel33 ssd 180gb
Radeon 7970 (future)
DVD R/W Burner
intel 3570k
4 fans (average 15 watts each)
m
l
February 23, 2013 2:19:02 AM

kitsunestarwind said:
I looks plenty good enough for what you want to do

I'm just wondering if I got the rails right. last thing I want to do is overload a rail. A 7970 plus an ssd shouldn't right?
m
l
a b ) Power supply
February 23, 2013 2:29:53 AM

.... wait do you have this power supply now or are you buying a new power supply as well
m
l
February 23, 2013 2:31:30 AM

that psu is extreme overkill.

but to answer your question yes...you have enough to power the card
m
l
February 23, 2013 2:32:41 AM

Rockdpm said:
.... wait do you have this power supply now or are you buying a new power supply as well

I have the PSU. Im buying the 7970. My question was "Am I mapping the rails right?" I think its top=1 bottom=2. I just dont want to push too much down one rail.
m
l
February 23, 2013 2:33:19 AM

ARICH5 said:
that psu is extreme overkill.

but to answer your question yes...you have enough to power the card

Good to know. I did love your original response though.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
February 23, 2013 2:46:15 AM

If you check the your box, there will be a 12v rail mapping and what rail goes to each power cord.. refer to that and you should be ok which modern cards are much more power efficient than the ole 480 crisis. which like others said if your doing one GPU idk what idiot told you to get a 1000watt "Bronze" when you could have gotten a 750watt gold and been fine
m
l
February 23, 2013 2:57:10 AM

Rockdpm said:
If you check the your box, there will be a 12v rail mapping and what rail goes to each power cord.. refer to that and you should be ok which modern cards are much more power efficient than the ole 480 crisis. which like others said if your doing one GPU idk what idiot told you to get a 1000watt "Bronze" when you could have gotten a 750watt gold and been fine

There actually was no map on the box. That's why I was curious. Also, "that idiot" just told me to get a modular PSU. The amount came after I stupidly went to newegg and randomly picked one within my price range. I figured that I would get the biggest I could for the money.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
February 23, 2013 3:56:06 AM

well bronze is still fine.. just next time remember if your not doing more than 1 GPU..stick to a 750 watt gold.. your PSU is fine for the task you want to do now though
m
l
February 24, 2013 7:12:29 AM

More then enough power for your setup. It will work fine.. just pay attention to how you take your old psu out and what cables go where if you're new to this. Its really not hard to screw up.

Your 24 pin and cpu plugs should be on the main cables that you cant remove from the PSU.. and all your pcie cables will be powered by the red. everything else powered by the black.. such as your hard drive and whatever else you have. Good Luck.
m
l
!