Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Remote Desktop, Which Windows 7 Version?

Last response: in Windows 7
March 26, 2012 6:05:29 PM

With remote desktop connection you need one computer with any version of Windows and one version with Win Pro or higher.

But which version has to be host and which version has to be client?

By host or client I mean, host = the computer you are using to try to initiate the access to the remote client computer

Reading the FAQ from MS I can't tell for certain what it means. It seems to indicate the host computer is any version of Win and the client is Win Pro or higher which does not make sense.

This is the FAQ from Mircrosoft.

""You can use Remote Desktop to initiate a connection from any edition of Windows 7.""

""You can connect to computers running Windows 7 Professional, Windows 7 Ultimate, or Windows 7 Enterprise.""

""You can't use Remote Desktop Connection to connect to computers running Windows 7 Starter, Windows 7 Home Basic, or Windows 7 Home Premium.""
a c 228 $ Windows 7
March 26, 2012 6:54:30 PM

The computer you are remoting into has to be pro or higher.
m
l
March 26, 2012 7:25:58 PM

Hawkeye22 said:
The computer you are remoting into has to be pro or higher.

So the remote computer I am trying to access from my computer using remote desktop has to be Win Pro or higher?

Gosh that just makes no sense. I thought this was a tool to help techs fix problems. So to fix a problem they first have to get the customer to upgrade?

Isn't this like going backwards for MS? I thought that XP remote desktop would work on any version? Because the techs at HP printers accessed my computer before.
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

a b $ Windows 7
March 26, 2012 7:40:09 PM

On XP, Remode desktop was also available on Pro only, so there is no "backward". On the other side, there is something called "Remote Assistance" (never tried it), which is supposed to work for remote tech support.

There are other (free and paid) solutions which allow for remote desktop onto any Windows (and other) system - VNC, TeamViewer, LogMeIn etc.
a c 228 $ Windows 7
March 26, 2012 8:15:12 PM

Chris Duncan said:
So the remote computer I am trying to access from my computer using remote desktop has to be Win Pro or higher?

Gosh that just makes no sense. I thought this was a tool to help techs fix problems. So to fix a problem they first have to get the customer to upgrade?

Isn't this like going backwards for MS? I thought that XP remote desktop would work on any version? Because the techs at HP printers accessed my computer before.

As stated, that is what remote assistance is for, though I don't use remote assistance. If you right-click "my computer" (in xp) and select properties, then go to the "remote tab" you will see remote assistance there as well as remote desktop if it has it.
m
l
March 26, 2012 11:27:48 PM

Best answer selected by Chris Duncan.
m
l
March 26, 2012 11:29:29 PM

Alabalcho said:
On XP, Remode desktop was also available on Pro only, so there is no "backward". On the other side, there is something called "Remote Assistance" (never tried it), which is supposed to work for remote tech support.

There are other (free and paid) solutions which allow for remote desktop onto any Windows (and other) system - VNC, TeamViewer, LogMeIn etc.

Remote Assistance worked well. The only thing slowing it down is connection speed. Better than having to upgrade to Pro

THANKS
m
l
!