Solved

Crossfire Performance With Different Expansion Slots

Hi all,

I'm planning on doing crossfire with my xfx radeon hd 7870 doudle d. The thing is, am not sure if i'll be getting the performance that i want with different pci-e expansion slots.

Here's my pc specs:
Processor: Intel Core i5-3550 3.3GHz
RAM: 8GB Kingston 1600MHz
GPU: XFX Radeon HD 7870 Double Dissipation
PSU: Cooler Master Extreme2 625W (I'm planning to change this when i'll crossfire)
Motherboard: Asus P8H77-V LE (http://www.asus.com/Motherboard/P8H77V_LE)

Can someone tell me if i should worry about the performance?

Thanks.
3 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about crossfire performance expansion slots
  1. Wait for a second opinion, but your second pcie x16 slot is only x4 and running at pcie 2.0. I personally would not try crossfire with it I think it would be crippled.

I honestly can't believe ASUS has the balls to label it a "quad crossfire support" with a setup like that.
  2. Best answer
    You can most likely run it, but you will take a small performance hit. Not sure how much though. A few sites in the past has done tests using high end cards on PCI-E 1.0 slots with high end 2.0 cards they found something like 5% performance hit or around there when they used it in a 1.0 x4 slot. And that x4 slot should be equavalent to half the speed of a full x16 pci-e slot for max bandwidth. So even taking differences into account I suspect it will still work for a good performance increase but it won't be as good as if you had a full x16 slot as I still suspect something along the lines of 5-10% performance hit.
  3. Best answer selected by moshin2907.
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Performance Crossfire Graphics