670 or 7970Ghz SLI/CF

niccroetger

Honorable
Feb 23, 2013
I am looking to replace my 5970 because it fails to perform in newer game (most relevant to this argument being crysis 3). Using a 120hz monitor I am convinced that single

GPU solution will not be sufficient. In this respect I am throwing up between 2 nvidia 670 ($420) or 2 AMD 7970Ghz ($470). Thus the price differential is 100 dollars. It has

been made clear on this site and others that the 7970Ghz is the faster option, I am however wondering if this increase is justified by the 100 dollar increased price point. I

have also heard that AMD suffers from driver and stuttering issues? (I am uncertain if this is true). What would you recommend between these two options and are there

any other combinations which you might recommend?

Thanks in advance

master_chen

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012
This is not even a matter to debate on.

HD 7970s are much powerful than GTX 670s and perform quite better.
Equivalents of 7970s are GTX 680s, not 670s.

Also, no driver issues (it's a usual BS by Nvidia's fanboys, to make inexperienced naive people to buy Nvidia's products) and stuttering might happen on both sides.
So this is all Nvidia's fanboy BS, basically.

If you're getting HD 7970s, definitely get Sapphire's or MSi's - these are the best HD 7970s that you can get on the market right now.
If you're getting GTX 670s/680s, definitely get EVGA's FTWs, MSi's "Lightnings", or Asus' - these are the best GTX 670/680s that you can get on the market right now.

What you really should ALWAYS REMEMBER is that getting Nvidia's GPUs simply because "they have PhysX" would be ABSOLUTELY RETARDED, because you can HPX Radeons.
A quality HPX setup can cost quite less than a typical "PhysX" setup of two GeForce cards (one for main rendering, second dedicated for PhysX).
And in some cases it will even perform better than usual "GeForces-only" setup! So definitely bear that in mind, before you decide to get expensive, high-power consuming GTX GPUs.

They are not nvidia fanboy BS. Nvidia is still the leader of frame consistency until now. But yes, both does stutter sometimes. 7970 GHz is even faster than the 680 (around 5%) so yes I believe the $100 difference is going to be worth it.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814202001

Correct that.

Plus, the game that support PhysX is little.

master_chen

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012

What I meant, is that it's BS when some Nvidia fanboy comes into "recommend a GPU" thread and says something like "dude, Radeons are absolute trash, never get them 'cause they have horrible problems with drivers/there's no drivers for them! Get Nvidia's cards only, if you want 100% stability, and quality, and power! Only Nvidia is worth getting, dude! To hell with AMDogsh*t!". I'm shitting you not, there are TONS of people like that in internets AND IRL. Hundreds of thousands of such Nvidiots out there... :\
Every time I hear/read people say something like this, I always want to punch them in the throat immediately without any warning.

Djentleman

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2011

They have definitely improved their driver support.
I have tested latency's with my cf config and they're non-existent.
But all in all it's which side you like the best. The 670 i'm sure could overclock to a 7970.

master_chen

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012

7970s can OverClock too (and if it's something like Sapphire's cards, then they'll even OverClock much better), and thus, by that time when "670 will OverClock to 7970", the said 7970 wouldn't be anywhere around, because it will be much farther from where "OverClocked 670" would be. And it's not even the case of "Rabbit VS Turtle", because Radeon won't be funking around, it will just leave 670 back there, win the race, and smirk at 670 from the top, while 670 would still be just getting to the finish line little by little.

Also, for both of you guys' information: when I said that "HD 7970s are much powerful than GTX 670s and perform quite better", I meant GHzes and GHzes only. Not initial ones.

niccroetger

Honorable
Feb 23, 2013
overwhelming support seems to be for the AMD 7970Ghz in this case so the choice seems obvious. There seems to be a-lot of support for the sapphire model, to my chagrin in my country (Australia) the only brand on offer seems to be by gigabyte

(http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=193_1309&products_id=20995). Is this an

acceptable model or should I look harder?

PS- Some people have suggested the new nvidia titan which i largely disregarded as i felt that I can get better nonperformance for cheaper on CF/SLI setups. Some people have argued to me that the frame timing on on the titans justify's the cost. What are you opinions on this

Thanks again

Does this mean that I can expect you to always help out on an AMD/ATi driver problem thread then? :whistle:

master_chen

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012
Niccroetger:

Yeah, well....their 7970s aren't the most top ones, but they do make good cards nonetheless. You'll definitely won't be in a losing situation if you'll get that one.
Although, I really recommend that you'd rather get this. This is a truly fantastic video card all around. Also, you have this on sale there...if you really can afford it, get it. It's a BEAST.
You won't even need to CFX anything at all, if you'll get that last one. It'll run everything with breeze (literally EVERY THING) at maximal maximums on most high resolutions!

Mouse Monkey: :ange:

Well master_chen... make a good message next time. Jokes are fine here but yours is too much. In reality, things are not as bad as you picture them to us.

The gigabyte one looks fine to me. The MSI one is a tad more expensive than others, it's an excellent card. But I don't think it will justify the price increase you will pay.

Djentleman

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2011

I haven't noticed a problems with micro-stutter. Which i'm sure is what you mean by "Latency", I have noticed scalability issues. If i had money to blow on the titan and i thought that performance was necessary - then i would buy it.

Djentleman

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2011

You're correct.
I was just meaning if he liked nvidia then that could be an option.

niccroetger

Honorable
Feb 23, 2013
To clarify my budget is around $1000, and I again fell a single card will not suffice for a 120Hz frame-rate (especially on newer games). I have found x2 sapphire models (3gb versions I don't think a single 1080p monitor needs 6gb or Vram)

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Sapphire-AMD-Radeon-VAPOR-X-HD-7970-GHz-Edition-OC-3GB-GDDR5-2DVI-HDMI-DisplayPo-/281062378466?pt=PCC_Video_TV_Cards&hash=item41709f8be2&_uhb=1#ht_2359wt_906

In terms of the Nvida titan I simple would fell quite jaded spending the same money on something I know is less potent then 2x 7970CF

I should also make clear that I don't have brand preference (e.g. nvidia vrs AMD or HIS vs EVGA ect, ect). I only care about what is going to give me the best performance for the greatest value