Combining LAN / WAN and WIFI

curtismiller

Honorable
Mar 30, 2012
Hi there

Please excuse the possibly confusing following question but I'm trying to see if I can do what I think I need to...although if anyones got a better way I'm all ears.

Setup is currently simple.

2 x Imac (in same office, back to back)
1 x Macbook Pro

All running off wifi from 1 modem / router.

What I have now is a NAS which I want to connect directly to both Imacs as the wifi transfer rate is too slow for the large file sizes we shift about. (Photographer and Graphic Designer). Currently, to move files to the NAS we just plug in 1 Imac to the NAS using and Ethernet cable. Works a treat. Moving files between the Imacs is also quick and easy if I connect them directly using an ethernet cable.

What I would like to do is this.

Connect 2 Imacs and NAS to Ethernet switch so that they use the switch to transfer files between themselves and the NAS but still access Internet via WIFI.

I have an older, now unused, WIFI Modem Router (Netgear CVG824g) which I was wondering if it would make a suitable switch?
Will the NAS be able to pick up it's own IP from using the 824g as it's only point of access to the network?

Any thoughts?

Thanks. Curtis

You are working on wrong assumptions here. If you want to connect everything using ethernet cables, you don't need to use wifi at all. You can get the same internet connection using the cables. Just connect everything to the router using ethernet. You can have everything on the same network and use the same speeds. If you shut off DHCP in the router you have, you can use it as a switch, just hook it up to the existing router using one of the LAN ports, not the WAN.

curtismiller

Honorable
Mar 30, 2012
Howdy

Thanks for the reply. It's funny the things you forget to mention when putting this stuff in writing.

The main broadband connection point is in a totally different part of the house hence the use of wifi to get internet. I'm just trying to create a local network so the at the computers and NAS can talk to one another over a gigabit connection rather than the much slower wifi.

Does this change things?

Thanks again

Curtis

You already have a local network setup, no reason why you can't use the same configuration to hook up the computers on a faster link using ethernet cables.

What equipment do you have now? Is it a modem/router in one that does not have any ethernet ports just wireless?