Is 1GB of GDDR5 good enough for 1080p gaming?

mrhello123

Honorable
Dec 22, 2012
Hi, just a quick question. I am going to be building my first PC soon and can't decide which graphics card to get. I am on a tight budget and once the pc is built I just want to leave it alone and not add crossfire graphics cards and things like that. As the title of the thread suggests I can't decide between a 1gb or a 2gb xfx 7850. I am only going to playing on a single 1080p display. I will also have my 1080i TV (yes I know but it's old) plugged into the HDMI. I am only going use the TV connection to watch internet vids like bbc iplayer on the TV and my desktop on the pc monitor. So I didn't think that it will us all of the RAM for that. The 1gb is also £45 cheaper so if I got the 2gb I would have to get a dual core cpu instead of a quad core and a worse motherboard which I don't want to have to do.

Some of the games that I want to play are the Day Z standalone and maybe BF3 as well as others. I have been a console gamer so playing on high rather than ultra isn't a massive issue.

Thanks for any replies.

erykkrol

Honorable
Dec 28, 2012
If you have the choice go for 2gb. More VRAM doesnt usally mean better performance but the difference between 1Gb and 2Gb will give you an increase in performance.

mrhello123

Honorable
Dec 22, 2012
The problem is that I am on a tight budget, I can only just afford the 1gb version. I wouldn't ever be gaming with my TV connection turned on as well.

mrhello123

Honorable
Dec 22, 2012
I was hoping to go with xfx as they have a very good warranty, plus the games that come free with the xfx in my opinion are better. If I was only running at 1080p would it make much difference. On the benchmarks that you showed me they were all tested at a higher resolution than 1080p. I also aren't to bothered about dropping the resolution down to something like 1600 x 900.

mrhello123

Honorable
Dec 22, 2012
This card seems good except for the single fan cooler it is the same as the DD edition that cost £30 more. It also has 2gb of gddr5

Yes, i would get either one of those two with 2GB if it's at the same price as the xfx 7850 1GB, a single fan cooler is suffice for the 7850.

That card is actually £140.75 with the vat and shipping and it doesn't appear to have the bioshock infinite and tomb raider games, or it's a typo, if it offers the games, that card is a good choice for the op.