Upon connection of dvi-vga converter monitor instantly on standby

dnnply

Honorable
Feb 23, 2013
Hello,

I've read a couple of topics on this, but not come across a solution that works for me.

My Dell monitor has a vga port, my Nvidia card has 2 dvi ports. I have a vga to dvi converter connect my monitor to the video card. This used to always work.

For some reason, now, as soon as I connect the converter to the vga cable that's plugged into the monitor the monitor goes in standby.

When I connect the vga with dvi converter to the dvi port on my video card nothing happens, it remains in standby. Rebooting and all that doesn't help. I've taken out my videocard twice to make sure it was connected correctly, but the problem seems to be between the vga/dvi converter and the monitor. I've also changed vga cables, but same thing happens.

Either there's some type of configuration of the monitor that I need to change for it to read the dvi converted signal, or the converter is broken. I doubt it's broken, but I'll get another one tomorrow to see if that solves the problem.

Anyone have any ideas why the monitor instantly goes into standby mode when I connect the converter?

Thanks!

COLGeek

Cybernaut
It sounds like you may have connected your VGA adapter to a DVI-D port that can't carry the required analog signal required for VGA. Try swapping to the other DVI (hopefully a DVI-I) port.

Good luck!

dnnply

Honorable
Feb 23, 2013

I tried both ports (both used to work before) and the monitor remains in standby mode. But again, the monitor goes on standby as soon as I connect just the converter, so I'm sort of convinced nothing is wrong with my video card or it's ports.

dnnply

Honorable
Feb 23, 2013

I don't understand your reply. I did exactly that. Monitor - VGA cable - converter - DVI port video card.

It's a DVI-I Dual link port and converter btw.

dnnply

Honorable
Feb 23, 2013
Hi, thanks. I tried different cables and different converters and the problem persists. Monitor goes into standby mode and doesn't wake up when the computer starts. I'm thinking either:
1. The monitor doesn't understand the converted signal (from DVI to VGA), which is unlikely because I've used the exact same monitor in this setup before, or;
2. The monitor settings? are wrong to receive the signal, or;
3. The videocard is not sending a signal out (through the DVI port -> converter -> VGA cable -> monitor). The shitty thing here is that my mobo doesn't have onboard video so I can't test this.

Any ideas?

Kari

Splendid
Are you sure the pc actually powers up properly? Do you hear the one short beep for succesfull POST? Is there any HDD activity like it's loading windows? etc.. basically any signs of life, really? spinning fans don't really count, thou...
Just thinking something else might have failed, like the power supply.

dnnply

Honorable
Feb 23, 2013

Yeah, I'm sure it works. The regular beep sounds and the harddisk goes on when I hit the power putton. I understand your point about the fans, but the fan on the video card itself really wouldn't go on if the power wasn't working.

Also, I just bought another card, an ATI with VGA and DVI ports. Problem persists: when I connect the VGA cable with it and connect it to my monitor the monitor goes on standby just like it does when I connect the converter to the VGA cable.

I really don't get this, could there be some kind of configuration of Dell monitors that doesn't allow me to connect it to an external video card?!
I highly doubt the pci-e slot on my mobo is broking or anything, but really what else could it be!?

Any help at this point is highly appreciated, I'm clueless.

dnnply

Honorable
Feb 23, 2013
Alright, I;m getting the idea that it's the friggin mobo that's broken, because when I plugin keyboard/mouse they don't light up or anything.. How should I test this to be sure?

dnnply

Honorable
Feb 23, 2013
Another thing I just thought of; could the small battery thing be done or whatever? Could that cause this type of problem with a graphics card/sound card?

dnnply

Honorable
Feb 23, 2013
Update: I just found another battery but with this one in the mobo I still get nothing. No mouse/keyboard lights or whatever and no monitor.

Kari

Splendid

well for example if the 5V rail has gone the psu can still supply 12V that will run the fans, while the rest of the pc is completely dead because the mobo needs that 5V to function to properly... happened to me once, all the fans were spinning just fine but nothing else happened.

and based on your latest update I would still insist that you'd better check the psu. :)

dnnply

Honorable
Feb 23, 2013
Thanks for the advice! Somehow it's working now, I'm getting something on the monitor. The weird thing now is that when I connect mouse/keyboard they light up for a second and then turn off and don't come on no more. I tried to connect an analog keyboard which works. This is so frustrating, every time I get something to work, something else doesn't. Ugh.