Sign in with
Your question

Automatic Services in Windows 7 Fails to start.

Tags:
Last response: in Windows 7
March 26, 2012 10:50:39 PM

Lately my welcome screen became very slow, it takes 3-4 minutes to load and then a black screen with a mouse cursor comes up for 30 seconds then the actual windows come, when windows start the network icon has a red cross on it and says not connected - no connections available but the internet is just fine, and it says failed to load windows service.

Is that a virus? i scanned with AVG 2012 and Malware bytes and problem is still there :( .
a b $ Windows 7
March 26, 2012 11:35:35 PM

I think it is your networking device's driver delaying your Window start up.

Try update and reinstall the driver.
a b $ Windows 7
March 26, 2012 11:48:22 PM

How long does it take to boot up in Safe Mode?
Tap F8 at power on for the Advanced Options menu.
Related resources
March 27, 2012 7:58:57 AM

takes about 10 seconds to log in safe mode.

Updated the network driver but still the same problem presists.

I also noticed a DOS window that appears for a split second when the windows loads it says on top a long path and ends with "vbc.exe" i have never seen it before.
March 27, 2012 1:55:40 PM

After hours of research i found that the problem is much bigger, most of the automatic windows services including Network Location Awareness and Event Log won't start with the startup, i cant start them manually either as i get an error.

Things i tried so far:

1- netsh winsock reset fix
2- Microsoft fix it
3- Scanned for malwares,spywares and viruses.
4- downloaded Advanced System Care to fix system errors etc...

I also noticed that System Restore points were deleted and the closest one is in 2010 :S.
a b $ Windows 7
March 27, 2012 2:02:26 PM

The nice fast Safe Mode boot is pretty much pointing a finger in the general direction of a problem with the installed OS. Unfortunately it's not very specific about the actual problem.

What is it that would have deleted more recent System Restore points? I don't have a good feeling about that.

I'm thinking a fresh, clean install is going to end up taking less time and getting better results.
March 27, 2012 2:26:08 PM

I am trying to avoid that as much as possible, my CD ROM died couple of weeks ago and re installing windows might be a problem.

I tried safe mode with networking and same services failed to start.
a b $ Windows 7
March 27, 2012 2:31:11 PM

Was the DVD failure about the same time as the problem starting up?
March 27, 2012 2:39:17 PM

No the problem started yesterday, i booted my system and got that error that service could not start and seen the network indicator saying no connection but i ignored it because the internet was working i thought that the next time i'll boot it will be ok, 2nd day same crap so i started googling about it and seen many fixes but non of them worked and one of the fixes was to check the event log so i tried to check it and it was not working then i tried to start the service manually and i got error 1747, another fix was to update windows but guess what? windows update service ain't working as well and i noticed many automatic services windows related are all set to automatic but they aren't working and i can't start any of them manually.

I extremely hate formatting and re installing windows because i have dozens of programs and games installed and it takes a lot of time to get the windows back to how it was so i'd try to make that as a last resort, add to that i don't have a rom to boot form atm.
a b $ Windows 7
March 27, 2012 2:44:37 PM

rvg90 said:
I am trying to avoid that as much as possible, my CD ROM died couple of weeks ago and re installing windows might be a problem.

I tried safe mode with networking and same services failed to start.

You do realize you can get a CD/DVD burner for like $20 ?
a b $ Windows 7
March 27, 2012 2:47:54 PM

I'm trying to imagine what could be causing basic background services like Event Log to not run and not able to be started manually. Having a hard time trying to figure out what that means. I'm pretty sure it's a 'very bad thing'.
March 27, 2012 3:52:10 PM

Yea it's extremely annoying :<.
a b $ Windows 7
March 27, 2012 4:04:21 PM

Sounds like a recent windows update has borked your PC, check what was updated and roll back!
March 27, 2012 5:31:48 PM

Restore points all got deleted, trying to put my windows on a USB atm.
March 28, 2012 1:06:09 PM

I know it's possible to move my Documents but what about the users folder? i got 8 gigs there downloads,saved games etc... is it possible to change it's directory when i install new windows?
!