Automatic Services in Windows 7 Fails to start.

Lately my welcome screen became very slow, it takes 3-4 minutes to load and then a black screen with a mouse cursor comes up for 30 seconds then the actual windows come, when windows start the network icon has a red cross on it and says not connected - no connections available but the internet is just fine, and it says failed to load windows service.

Is that a virus? i scanned with AVG 2012 and Malware bytes and problem is still there :(.
15 answers Last reply
More about automatic services windows fails start
  1. I think it is your networking device's driver delaying your Window start up.

Try update and reinstall the driver.
  2. How long does it take to boot up in Safe Mode?
    Tap F8 at power on for the Advanced Options menu.
  3. takes about 10 seconds to log in safe mode.

Updated the network driver but still the same problem presists.

I also noticed a DOS window that appears for a split second when the windows loads it says on top a long path and ends with "vbc.exe" i have never seen it before.
  4. After hours of research i found that the problem is much bigger, most of the automatic windows services including Network Location Awareness and Event Log won't start with the startup, i cant start them manually either as i get an error.

Things i tried so far:

1- netsh winsock reset fix
    2- Microsoft fix it
    3- Scanned for malwares,spywares and viruses.
    4- downloaded Advanced System Care to fix system errors etc...

I also noticed that System Restore points were deleted and the closest one is in 2010 :S.
  5. The nice fast Safe Mode boot is pretty much pointing a finger in the general direction of a problem with the installed OS. Unfortunately it's not very specific about the actual problem.

What is it that would have deleted more recent System Restore points? I don't have a good feeling about that.

I'm thinking a fresh, clean install is going to end up taking less time and getting better results.
  6. I am trying to avoid that as much as possible, my CD ROM died couple of weeks ago and re installing windows might be a problem.

I tried safe mode with networking and same services failed to start.
  7. Was the DVD failure about the same time as the problem starting up?
  8. No the problem started yesterday, i booted my system and got that error that service could not start and seen the network indicator saying no connection but i ignored it because the internet was working i thought that the next time i'll boot it will be ok, 2nd day same crap so i started googling about it and seen many fixes but non of them worked and one of the fixes was to check the event log so i tried to check it and it was not working then i tried to start the service manually and i got error 1747, another fix was to update windows but guess what? windows update service ain't working as well and i noticed many automatic services windows related are all set to automatic but they aren't working and i can't start any of them manually.

I extremely hate formatting and re installing windows because i have dozens of programs and games installed and it takes a lot of time to get the windows back to how it was so i'd try to make that as a last resort, add to that i don't have a rom to boot form atm.
  9. rvg90 said:
    I am trying to avoid that as much as possible, my CD ROM died couple of weeks ago and re installing windows might be a problem.

I tried safe mode with networking and same services failed to start.

You do realize you can get a CD/DVD burner for like $20 ?
  10. I'm trying to imagine what could be causing basic background services like Event Log to not run and not able to be started manually. Having a hard time trying to figure out what that means. I'm pretty sure it's a 'very bad thing'.
  11. Yea it's extremely annoying :<.
  12. Sounds like a recent windows update has borked your PC, check what was updated and roll back!
  13. Restore points all got deleted, trying to put my windows on a USB atm.
  14. I know it's possible to move my Documents but what about the users folder? i got 8 gigs there downloads,saved games etc... is it possible to change it's directory when i install new windows?
  15. Old thread, posting in hope this might help someone as i had this issue myself

Resolution for me was to go into Control Panel> Administrative Tools> Services

From there you will need to set the start up type of each service, i would suggest getting a full list of the windows default servies and if they are automatic or manual.

After you have changed them simply restart the computer.
Ask a new question

Read More

Windows 7