Am I bottlenecking?

grxog

Honorable
Feb 23, 2013
Hello,
I have an amd phenom x6 core processor clocked at 800MHz a core... I recently installed a 6850, and im getting low fps on games, gta iv, and fallout new vegas. Is this because im bottle necking? I have a 650watt peak psu, its a shark psu with only one 6 pin pci connector, but i have a molex to 6 pin pci connector, that's what im using for the second pci plug on my card. Am I getting low fps because im bottle necking? or is my power supply insufficient?

a phenom x6 shouldnt run at 800mhz per core, what model phenom x6 is it? you must have something set wrong in bios. the lowest end phenom x6 the 1045 runs at 2.8ghz i believe. So either you have something wrong in bios, or you are measuring the mhz when the cpu is idle, or the cpu is overheating and throttling way back.a 6850 should only have one PCIE power connector. are you sure you have a 6850? the 6870 has 2 power connectors. Get GPUz to check what gpu you actually have, get HWmonitor to monitor your temperatures, and get prime95 to load up your cpu to check the mhz at load and see if it goes up.

grxog

Honorable
Feb 23, 2013

Heres EXACTLY what DxDiag says for processor:

AMD Phenom(tm) II X6 1045T Processor (6 CPUs), ~800MHz

And my card DOES have 2 6-pin power connectors, and on the side it says "r6850". Its an XFX model, here it is http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6814150618, I didn't buy it from newegg, but that's the kind I have. If you look in the 360 view, you can see that it has 2 6-pin power connectors.

swilczak

Distinguished
Open System by clicking the Start button , clicking Control Panel, clicking System and Maintenance, and then clicking System. See what windows reports the speed as. Or restart the computer and press the key to enter setup when the computer first starts then see what the bios reports it as. A lot of CPU monitors tell you what the current speed is. If your computer is at idle it will report a much lower speed than what it's capable of. It's a power saving feature called "power now".