Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Trying to set up a dual monitor system and nothing but headaches

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
February 24, 2013 12:46:39 AM

Hello,
I have a dell inspirion 700 desktop running widows 7, 64bit operating system. I am trying to setup dual monitors on for the extended display feature. The onboard graphics (ATI Radeon HD 4200) has both a VGA connector and an HDMI connector.

One monitor I am trying to use had a VGA connection only (Compaq 1859) the second monitor is a with both VGA and DVI connections available.

I purchased both a VGA to HDMI adapter cable and a DVI to HDMI adapter cable but have no luck seeing the second monitor using the onboard graphics.

Today I purchase a new video card (Nividia Geforce GT 640) with a VGA, DVI & HDMI connections.

I installed the video card and the drivers and then attempted to do the dual monitor thing again. When I right click on the desk top and choose the Screen resolution option I now see both monitors. And when I check the device manager it shows both monitors correctly identified.

The problem is, I get a "No Signal check cable" on the second monitor.

I tried using both different adaptor cables on the different monitors and get the same results. Only one monitor will display anything.

Any help would certainly be greatly appreciated.
February 24, 2013 3:07:32 AM

wmarshall4016 said:
Hello,
I have a dell inspirion 700 desktop running widows 7, 64bit operating system. I am trying to setup dual monitors on for the extended display feature. The onboard graphics (ATI Radeon HD 4200) has both a VGA connector and an HDMI connector.

One monitor I am trying to use had a VGA connection only (Compaq 1859) the second monitor is a with both VGA and DVI connections available.

I purchased both a VGA to HDMI adapter cable and a DVI to HDMI adapter cable but have no luck seeing the second monitor using the onboard graphics.

Today I purchase a new video card (Nividia Geforce GT 640) with a VGA, DVI & HDMI connections.

I installed the video card and the drivers and then attempted to do the dual monitor thing again. When I right click on the desk top and choose the Screen resolution option I now see both monitors. And when I check the device manager it shows both monitors correctly identified.

The problem is, I get a "No Signal check cable" on the second monitor.

I tried using both different adaptor cables on the different monitors and get the same results. Only one monitor will display anything.

Any help would certainly be greatly appreciated.

By chance do you know if they are Active or Passive adapters?
m
l
February 24, 2013 8:24:12 AM

abCasPeRR said:
By chance do you know if they are Active or Passive adapters?

I will admit that I am not familiar with the difference between the two, but based on the research, just completed, via the internet I would guess that they are both passive adapters as they are simple cables. One has a VGA connection on one end and an HDMI connection on the other, while the other has a DVI connection on one end and an HDMI connection on the other.

I hope that gives you a better idea of what I am using. Any further help would be appreciated.

Thanks
m
l
Related resources
February 24, 2013 8:31:57 AM

Are both monitors connected to the same video card? your not very clear about that
try connecting both to just your GTX video card and see if that works
m
l
a b C Monitor
February 24, 2013 9:34:45 AM

You need to extend your desktop onto the second display to turn it on. You're currently not sending it a signal.

FYI you can't adapt VGA, an analog signal, to HDMI, a digital signal. So that cable is worthless
m
l

Best solution

February 24, 2013 9:43:00 AM

wmarshall4016 said:
I will admit that I am not familiar with the difference between the two, but based on the research, just completed, via the internet I would guess that they are both passive adapters as they are simple cables. One has a VGA connection on one end and an HDMI connection on the other, while the other has a DVI connection on one end and an HDMI connection on the other.

I hope that gives you a better idea of what I am using. Any further help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Do you mean that you're converting the HDMI from the onboard to say DVI and the HDMI from the GPU to the VGA? If thats the case thats not going to work. And just like unksol said you wouldnt be able to adapt HDMI to VGA easily you'll need a "active" adapter to convert HDMI to vga. What you need to do is use a standard DVI cable to one of your monitors and a HDMI to DVI adapter on the other. Or just a regular DVI and VGA cable.
February 24, 2013 11:45:17 PM

Best answer selected by wmarshall4016.
m
l
February 24, 2013 11:45:56 PM

Problem sloved!!! Thanks for the help folks.
m
l
!