Monitor randomly goes black for a second every so often

Status
Not open for further replies.

salochin92

Honorable
Feb 24, 2013
Hey there!

So I just built a custom computer and just replaced the monitor cause I thought it was the issue, but it didn't help. My entire screen will randomly go black for a second every so often. I'm thinking it might be the hdmi or the graphics card?

Here's my setup:

Operating System
Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit SP1
CPU
Intel Core i5 3570K @ 3.40GHz
Ivy Bridge 22nm Technology
RAM
8.00 GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 656MHz (9-9-9-24)
Motherboard
Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd. Z77X-UD3H (Intel Core i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz)
Graphics
IPS277 (1920x1080@60Hz)
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 670
Hard Drives
233GB Samsung SSD 840 Series ATA Device (SSD)
Optical Drives
No optical disk drives detected
Audio
High Definition Audio Device

I've got all the latest drivers and such (or so I think...)

Any ideas?

jodybdesigns

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2010
Its your overclock. if you leave your card overclocked, ALL of your digital signals will flicker. Mine does the same, turn off the overclock in CCC, the throttling the card does in the bios for voltages and clocks causes this

also, flash will cause flickering too

i have a 6870 (5870 cypress rebadge)

try using ONLY your VGA signal - unplug the DVI - bet it stops EVEN WITH your overclocks - something about SOME radeon cards VGA + DVI - im running 3 monitors off one card, an active VGA on display port - a HDMI > DVI converter > and my DVI signal, both my HDMI and DVI will flicker, my DP to VGA will not, because its being picked up as an analog signal

Selena Shipp

Reputable
Feb 26, 2014

jodybdesigns

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2010

Hmmm, could be either. Try using JUST the TV (hdmi output) and see if it flickers, if it flickers you know for sure its the HDMI port on the card or cable. If it only flickers when your using both digital outputs, it could be a driver conflict.

Im not an Nvidia user by any means, because CUDA is no use to me (if it was id still use Radeon)

boldpatch

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2010
i found this problem it turned out to be mains interference from something being turned off or on locally. my wife's PC above bedroom causes my Htpc to go blank for a second or two when she turns it on or shuts it down. and i had an electric fire did it too when the thermostat turned it off and on i moved the fire further away from the tv and all was ok.

Abomination

Reputable
Feb 7, 2015

I too encounter the same problem... the display flicker to black if certain switch around the house gets turn off or on. I am unsure what to do since switching power outlet doesn't solve the problem. Half my system is old (PSU, Mobo, RAM) & half of it is new (VGA, HDD, monitor)... could it be due to having an old PSU & Mobo? I have google the problem for some time... a lot of results this first time I seen a reply that mention a connection with power system for the rest of the house and so far no solutions.

The new vga is also different from my old card, it draws power directly from the mobo with no cable connecting to the PSU. It's an PCI-Express 3 card & my mobo is PCI-Express 2. I am really afraid that it is damaging the system if it doesn't stop.

VGA: MSI Geforce GTX 750 ti
Mobo: Gigabyte P67A-UD3-B3 (more than 3 years old)
PSU: Seasonic X series 760W (more than 3 years old)

jay72bird

Reputable
Jul 18, 2015
temsg=10370449,0,1106653]

Literally just got this one... same issue as before[/quotemsg]

It is probably a capacitor that needs replaced, about $10.00 at a Radio Shack (Providing you can solder). I've replaced 2 before on separate monitors, one Dell, One Optiquest. Fairly easy,..I followed a YouTube video instructions, worked on both. A little late, but there you go.

tombaas10

Reputable
Nov 29, 2015

seems like a good idea to instantly get a new monitor instead of looking for the solution first.

Abomination

Reputable
Feb 7, 2015

I found the solution to my black out problem... it is the HDMI cable... more correctly the HDMI, the problem went away once I switch back to VGA.

Springtex

Commendable
Apr 5, 2016

Springtex

Commendable
Apr 5, 2016
I'm 99.99% sure it isn't the monitor. I had the same problem for years with my last PC running Vista OS. Replaced the PC with a new one running Windows 10, but kept the LG monitor that would flash to black. Connected using same cable as before. No more flash to black observed.

Lunetouche

Honorable
Dec 2, 2016
My guess is whats happening is something is interfering with the hdmi signal, and so it has to do the HDCP handshake at times, when it does the screen blanks untill its sorted itself out

AussieBloke

Honorable
Sep 8, 2013
Hi there,

I am not a guru, I am just an enthusiast with two machines.
I had the same issue with the same SSD. In short, from my assessment of the issue is with the SSD and I don't have a fix yet.

Justification for my assessment is below and would welcome any criticism or feedback:

After much frustration I broke down the machine in question and tested each component by swapping items in and out with my other computer. The machines are old. One is an x58 RPOG + I7 950 (the problem child) and the other is a Gigabyte UD5 + AMD phenom black.

1. The problem would be at its worst during boot or going into the BIOS where the screen would cut out after about 30 seconds.

2. Initially I had some success swapping out the HDMI cable but as I investigated further with CMOS clears, firmware updates etc, it became evident it was not the cable.

3. It got so bad, that not only did the screen black out, but my USB connectors stopped as well. This meant no Windows re-install and no screen to see what was going on. At this stage I thought my board was fried and was singing praises for Gigabyte.

4. After breaking down the machine with my board just sitting on two pieces of wood and everything possible disconnected, my USB's started working. I still couldn't reload windows because the screen would still cut out after 30 seconds.

5. I started testing the memory. The old 1 stick, 2 sticks, 3 sticks swapping them around, testing each - even using memory from the other machine. Problem still persisted. Therefore it wasn't a memory issue.

6. I tested the graphics card from the RPOG board in the working Gigabyte board - and vice versa and concluded it wasn't the memory cards.

7. Coming into week two and countless reboots, I had some luck.
I partitioned a traditional hard drive (non SSD) on the working Gigabyte machine and loaded windows 10 onto the new partition. Put the hard drive into the RPOG machine and voila! It worked. No flickering, no black outs. It was a pop the champagne moment as I thought I was going to have upgrade my machine (which I would love to do) and fork out $$$ (which I can't do!).

8. With my RPOG machine working, apologies started flowing in my mind for ASUS boards. I then got to work on updating the mortherboard firmware. All good.

9. I then worked on formatting the SSD's and turning them back into boot drives. (The whole project / problem started when I was running out of space on my Samsung 250 gb evo SSD and I wanted to span this over a second old OCZ 110 gb SSD). I worked on Diskpartition, turned them both into dynamic disks and created 1 spanned volume. Being the novice that I am, I quickly learned that Windows 10 will not load onto a spanned volume. Go figure - how dumb am I? two weeks of trouble shooting and work for naught!! But I am oh so much wiser now :).

9. So after the "Oh well" moment, I went back to turning the disks into simple volumes and re-creating a boot drive on the Samsung SSD. It was then that I discovered the screen black outs again. As I was loading windows onto the SSD from the a USB boot drive - the screen starting blacking out after working perfectly well on the traditional drive mentioned above. Hence my conclusions that something is not right with the SSD firmware.

The point is I can categorically conclude that it is not the HDMI cord, nor memory nor the GPU's nor the MB's nor the monitors. (BTW the monitors are the same for both machines (Samsung BTX 2450's).

I will continue to read the forums and see if the Samsung SSD is an issue experienced by others. Great disk btw but I am suspecting after seeing your post and what I have tested, there is probably a small bug in the firmware that needs ironing out and updating.

All the best

TheManWitDaPlan

Prominent
May 16, 2017
I found a solution that worked for me.

I did a fresh Windows 7 install from disc, and installed a GeForce GTX 1070 connected with HDMI. Right away I had a problem with the screen size going off the monitor edges. Then the screen would go black for 3-4 seconds every 2-15 seconds. Research hinted it was a problem with "PC" vs. "AV" settings. So using my monitor buttons I changed the monitor settings to force the monitor to recognize the HDMI input as "PC," instead of "AV" or "Auto." Problem solved. The display looks great.

BTW, the monitor sizing issue was also rumored to be related to AV mode. It cleared up completely with the input switch. Hope that's helpful.

p.r.doms

Prominent
Aug 20, 2017
I reckon its a symptom of sensitivity to "dirty" power. I purchased a UPS with filter protection and for added measure plugged that into a surge protector. So far, no further momentary monitor blackouts.

satishwar71

Prominent
Nov 15, 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.