Hd 7850 power supply

Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • Power Supplies
  • HD
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
February 24, 2013 12:02:56 PM

Would an XFX 450w pro series psu be enough to run a hd7850 and if not what power supply would you reccomend

More about : 7850 power supply

a c 182 U Graphics card
a b ) Power supply
February 24, 2013 12:06:44 PM

Tell +12v ratings of your xfx psu
February 24, 2013 12:17:25 PM

I think it should be running fine. but if in the future you'll want to buy a more powerful graphics card, or maybe buy another 7850 and crossfire it, i suggest you to buy a 600w PSU :) 
Related resources
February 24, 2013 12:39:28 PM

Megam said:
I think it should be running fine. but if in the future you'll want to buy a more powerful graphics card, or maybe buy another 7850 and crossfire it, i suggest you to buy a 600w PSU :) 

Probably won't crossfire but as long as the 450w runs fine ill get that
Link to PSU page
http://xfxforce.com/en-us/Products/Power-Supply/XFX/Pro...
February 24, 2013 2:06:45 PM

It would be enough if you already have this psu, but i recommend the 550 or the 650 if you want to buy a new one.
February 24, 2013 4:19:38 PM

lhbuild said:
It would be enough if you already have this psu, but i recommend the 550 or the 650 if you want to buy a new one.

I dont have it yet but i am on a very tight budget and that power supply is a pretty good price.
a b U Graphics card
a b ) Power supply
February 24, 2013 4:41:23 PM

Hey,

Well AMD recommends at least a 500watt PSU. You could get away with using a 450watt, however it depends on how much power the 12v rail(s) can supply. Since you are on a budget I found a Corsair 500watt for $49 which is a pretty good deal:
http://www.amazon.com/Corsair-Builder-Series-Watt-CX500...

I took a look at a 450watt XFX and the price was $59, so the corsair is cheaper and provides more power overall.

Hope this helps!
a c 87 U Graphics card
a b ) Power supply
February 24, 2013 4:47:53 PM

An XFX Proseries 450W should do quite nicely.

fil1p said:
Hey,

Well AMD recommends at least a 500watt PSU. You could get away with using a 450watt, however it depends on how much power the 12v rail(s) can supply. Since you are on a budget I found a Corsair 500watt for $49 which is a pretty good deal:
http://www.amazon.com/Corsair-Builder-Series-Watt-CX500...

I took a look at a 450watt XFX and the price was $59, so the corsair is cheaper and provides more power overall.

Hope this helps!

The unit has crap caps, so I don't recommend it. If OP wanted to go cheap, an Antec VP-450 would be a much more reliable option with similar efficiency. For the CX series, never buy a model that isn't a 80+ Bronze right now. The 80+ Bronze models are the V3 revision and are better than the V2 (80+) and the V1 (no efficiency certification).
a c 116 U Graphics card
a c 84 ) Power supply
February 24, 2013 5:13:14 PM

Am i the only one that gets a good laugh out of the XFX multi-rail marketing bs?

Quote:
Other Power Supply Units

Conventional PSUs use multi-rail technology which basically combines cheaper and lower wattage PSUs into one single PSU to generate a higher total wattage. However, smaller rails have lower maximum wattages so left over wattage on individual rails become too small to handle major components and gets wasted.

Not enough actual wattage - Even though there is technically 50 Watts of power remaining, none of the rails have more than 25W to handle adding a 50W component.

I would say ALL modern power supplies have a SINGLE large rail and over current limiters to make these "Virtual" rails. It is not like you can load ALL rails to the max on most multi rail systems since the SINGLE large rail provides for all of them.

Even this is only semi accurate as the 3.3 and 5 volt rails get power from the SAME 12 volt rail. But it gets the point across. EDITED IMAGE :) 
a c 87 U Graphics card
a b ) Power supply
February 24, 2013 5:43:50 PM

nukemaster said:
Am i the only one that gets a good laugh out of the XFX multi-rail marketing bs?

Quote:
Other Power Supply Units

Conventional PSUs use multi-rail technology which basically combines cheaper and lower wattage PSUs into one single PSU to generate a higher total wattage. However, smaller rails have lower maximum wattages so left over wattage on individual rails become too small to handle major components and gets wasted.

Not enough actual wattage - Even though there is technically 50 Watts of power remaining, none of the rails have more than 25W to handle adding a 50W component.

I would say ALL modern power supplies have a SINGLE large rail and over current limiters to make these "Virtual" rails. It is not like you can load ALL rails to the max on most multi rail systems since the SINGLE large rail provides for all of them.

Even this is only semi accurate as the 3.3 and 5 volt rails get power from the SAME 12 volt rail. But it gets the point across. EDITED IMAGE :) 
http://img715.imageshack.us/img715/6126/multirail.gif

I think that extremely low end garbage PSUs are what XFX was referring to by that. I bet many of them with * multiple* rails really do have multiple weak rails instead of a single rail that is split.
February 24, 2013 5:51:24 PM

Im in the UK so can only buy off Dabs Novatech and Scan
The 500w corsair cx v3 is like £15 more so is really pushing it.
a c 87 U Graphics card
a b ) Power supply
February 24, 2013 5:54:39 PM

Well, if you can't afford better than the CX 500W V2, then it'll probably be fine. Just make sure that you don't push it too far with much graphics and CPU overclocking or such.
!