AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
Yes, 1 80GB hard drive. However, I think the seek time will remain roughly the same.

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor

Rob423

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2002
Is a Raid setup actually that much better then just having 1 80gb D740X Maxtor.... Hooking two HD's in raid, is there really that much that difference in Performane ?

Measure Twice, Cut Once!!

For a start, the buffers on each disk are combined too. This gives a total in most cases of 4MB, which will improve the performance when carrying out certain tasks.

The one definite downside to RAID is the increased CPU utilisation, but with 1400+MHz CPUs becoming the standard, this is negligible. My array apparently uses 12.5% of my CPU (1GHz) when maxed out. That would equate to 8.9% for a 1400MHz system, and 5.7% for a 2.2GHz one.

<b><font color=blue>~ Whew! Finished...Now all I need is a Cyrix badge ~ </font color=blue> :wink: </b>

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
My array apparently uses 12.5% of my CPU (1GHz) when maxed out. That would equate to 8.9% for a 1400MHz system, and 5.7% for a 2.2GHz one
Wait! Let's not confuse the P4 with the P3 and the Athlon. A 2.2GHz P4 is a lot slower that a hypothetical 2.2GHz P3 or Athlon (XP).

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor

Stop trying to start an argument. I make no comparisons. I mearly used my percentage and applied it to other CPUs as other percentages of the available MHz.

Who even mentioned AMD or Intel?

You do get 1400MHz Intel systems. My system may be a 1GHz Athlon.

<b><font color=blue>~ Whew! Finished...Now all I need is a Cyrix badge ~ </font color=blue> :wink: </b>

flamethrower205

Illustrious
Jun 26, 2001
So I won't notice worse performance w/ my 1.2Ghz T-Bird and a RAID 0? Also, will programs load faster or what? What are the exact benefits. Will games require less time to load levels?

Sig of the week.

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
lol, sorry. It's a good thing AMDMeltdown doesn't post here, lol. :tongue:

I can't comment on how one of my drives would against the two, cause I went from ATA/33 6.4GB to ATA/100 RAID 0 80GB.

I can say this:

My HD Tach and Sandra 2002 scores have blown oithers out of the water to the extent that I was e-mailing screendumps to people to convince them.

I'll never get a non-RAID IDE solution again.

Games for me are nice n' fast on loading. My cousins system beats mine on CPU, memory etc. but when doing dsic intensive stuff, my system pulls ahead. He has a single drive.

flamethrower205

Illustrious
Jun 26, 2001
See, thing is I do graphics deisgn (I use 3d s max) and when u have a raytraced ocean w/ about 1,000,000 particles it has to take into account, 1.2Ghz is very feable, and every cycle counts. Think OCing to 1.3 or 1.4Ghz would make up for overhead tax the RAID puts on teh system?

Sig of the week.

Perhaps another option is to consider a step by step change over. First a fast drive. Then a CPU upgrade (XP1800+ is good now, 1900+ will be worth it in a month or so). Then a graphics card upgrade, if you don't have something stunning already. Lastly add another drive to make up the RAID array.

flamethrower205

Illustrious
Jun 26, 2001
The reason I'm getting this RAID 0 array is cause I also store some of my dad's important files, and got a new D740X to replace my 75GXP. However, I have filled up 40gb (graphics design and some movie editing), so I need anothr hard drive. The people I purchased my hard drive won't let me return it, cause a year has gone by, and their prices are pretty steep for a larger hard drive. Thus, getting a RAID would be less expensive, and my dad's paying for that. Now getting a new CPU and vid card I definetly don't want to pay for, nor do I need to, since I'm waiting to get dual XP4000+ sledgehammers w/ 2GB RAM and a Quadro 5, or whatever it's called. So will OC from 1.2 to 1.3 or 1.4 overcome the extra cycles used by the RAID?

Sig of the week.

flamethrower205

Illustrious
Jun 26, 2001
Hehe, i did the calculation, and yeah it will. Thing is, the 1.2Ghz I won some time ago as DAO, so I'm sending it back to AMD, but since it'd be cheaper for them to send me an AXP in production, they just may do that:) I'll wait and see.

Sig of the week.

Have you considered getting a SCSI drive for your boot drive. This would give you a lot of performance gain, but leave you another drive for storage, without losing the redundacy. With RAID 0, you'll have 80GB array, but if you're using half of that for storage of critical files, I'd be thinking about redundancy.

flamethrower205

Illustrious
Jun 26, 2001
Not that much is critical stuff, and those files have at least 10 backup copies, some of which are tape, and others CD. Hell, I even have em on 3 comps just in case (one of which is my dad's supercomputer).

Sig of the week.

l3um

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2002
Newbie question: What is redundancy and how does it affect your HDD and a RAID array?

What's this?...ERROR ERROR ERROR...*CRASH & BURN*

dhlucke

Polypheme
Ok, how about this one? I have the ECS K7S5A and my drive is filled so I was thinking of adding another one. It's also fairly obvious that my HD is the bottleneck in my system so I wanted to speed up the performance with RAID0. Couple problems though. One is that I like shopping at newegg and they have replaced the 40GB 60GXP with the 120GXP, the other is that I need to buy a controller card. I read <A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/storage/showdoc.html?i=1491" target="_new">Anandtech's review</A> and the Iwill card appears to be the best as well as cheaper than the promise one.

So I have to find a 60gxp somewhere to avoid any slow downs by having two different drives, and I have to buy a controller card. Is this a good solution or am I going too far out of my way? I'm tempted to just wait it out a little longer and just buy a new motherboard with RAID. The HD performance in the mean time sucks though and I only have a couple gigs of space left.

<font color=red>God</font color=red> <font color=blue>Bless</font color=blue> <font color=red>America!</font color=red>

dhlucke

Polypheme
Read the Anandtech review that I linked to above.

<font color=red>God</font color=red> <font color=blue>Bless</font color=blue> <font color=red>America!</font color=red>

Cheapeast option: Get another drive, call it Secondary Slave (assuming you have a spare cable space for a device), and use it for your heavy duty data. Partition up the original and get the C: drive optimised. That should improve things quite a bit.

Option Two: RAID card & drive. Immediate faster option, but with hassles of transfering your data out and then back to the RAID array.

Option Two Rev 1.0a : RAID card & two new drives. Perhaps a lovely option would be a couple of WD JBs 100 or 120 GB. Loads of room, and no need to go up to another mobo. 8MB cache on each!!!

Option Three: New mobo with RAID onboard (GA-7DXR+ is my favourite right now). If you go for this, you have to go by what bothers you. You should get 2 x ATA/133 to suit new mobo. If you swap out mobo & 60GXP, will you use them or sell them. Personally I hate having good parts sitting doing nothing.

BTW I have no idea if cash is an issue, so I didn't really worry about it. On that note you might even fancy getting a SCSI card & drive to replace C: :smile: