Sign in with
Your question

After cloning system on 2nd HDD, system partition is drive H, and C...

Last response: in Windows 7
March 27, 2012 5:17:29 AM

Hello everybody..

I gott a new hard drives, and I'm moving the old hard drive to another PC..

I cloned the windows partition (C) from the old HDD to the primary partition on the new HDD.. and booted on the new hard drive after removing the old one, but the Windows stuck at welcome screen..
I reinstalled the old one, but kept booting on the new one, the windows started properly, but I found that system partition, and boot partition became partition H instead of C, (the new system partition kept its drive letter), while the old system partition (also kept its letter C) became 'page file' partition..

I tried to change drive letters using software, but when windows load up. everything is the same.

Any idea on how too fix this guys?? I need to move the old hard drive out of this pc but keep the system running.. and preferably, change the system partition to drive C.

any help would be much appreciated.

[[ Update: ]] I just chached the location of the page file to drive H, and restart, windows started normally.. then changed the drive letter C and restart, the windows again stuck at welcome screen.. I have no idea why!!.. apparently while the system and boot is on drive H, it still need drive c for someting.. anyone know what?
March 29, 2012 2:38:36 AM

anone?
August 27, 2013 3:20:05 AM

It sounds like your clone may have failed keeping your old drive as the bootable disk. Also, because of the failed or incomplete cloning, when you connect the old drive the partition has a master telling it to be the boot drive hence perhaps causing it to be filed as C and overriding the "new" drive putting it to H despite your attempt to reassign. If this is at all accurate then perhaps somewhere along the line you cloned your new disk in a fashion that is not bootable. I'm no expert yet but I've been researching this a lot. Here's what I would recommend as a possible fix:

First, get your old setup back to optimal running form ie disconnect the new drive completely, do a system restore and make sure all was as it was before the cloning procedure.
Second, reattempt the cloning procedure via reverse clone. It sounds, "fancy" but all it is is having both your old and new drives connected but when you power up you boot into bios only and configure so that you boot from the optical drive first (assuming you have a cloning program like acronis plus to put in the optical drive; I used acronis successfully and I am not familiar with clonezilla freeware etc. I paid $35 and saved myself a lot of headache, I'm sure those are good as well but as I did my homework it seemed the most straight forward). Anyhow, the point is to have this setup properly for a clean "reverse" clone; I don't know why it's called that but it doesn't matter too much for you right now. The point is that it's good because this prevents any chance that the OS tries to put your old drive online like I'm guessing it has and giving it the boot drive signature when it's the new drive that you want because you operated off the cd by changing boot priority going straight to bios with both drives connected. Even if you assign your new drive as the boot drive in the OS that does NOT ensure that your old drive won't be assigned the boot drive because of the inherent signature conflict the OS faces when seeing mirrored drives. This is why you must be meticulous when following the cloning procedures. I'm sure you are very careful but just one oversight can make it a headache. Do not skip anything! For now, just make sure you have the cd in the optical drive, bios set to boot optical as priority 1, and both drives connected.
Next, simply follow the prompts in the software. If you're new drive is less than 2tb use mbr, if it is greater then use gpt (this could be a problem for you though as I cloned a storage drive not one with an OS and I do remember it saying that the drive won't be bootable but I didn't need it to since it was only for storage data etc.) anyhow, try to know ahead of time what your details will be when running through the software so you're not making more guesses and adding more problems. This time you should have a clean clone is the point.
Finally, do as you did before and reboot with ONLY the new cloned drive. Please wait a while before even considering reconnecting your old hard drive so as to prevent recreation of your earlier problem.
Now, I may be way off target but no one else is responding and perhaps you got this resolved but there are many others who don't realize that reconnecting your old drive too soon or not disconnecting it at all upon first reboot with the new clone can cause a ton of headaches. I have prevented this just by reading others posts and hope to help in this fashion either way.
An update with what you have learned and any details you might feel would save another from your difficult experience I'm sure would be much appreciated! Hope this helps (if not you at least someone else reading this!)

Anyone with more experience please feel free to chime in!

Thanks,
!