Car Audio in my Studio

Last response: in Home Audio
October 23, 2004 3:37:17 PM

I have a complete audio setup from my second car that I want to put
inside my studio to allow me to hear my mixes in a real world scenario.
Equipment consists of Sony cd changer, some good quality car speakers
mounted inside my old AR-18 boxes that took a dump15 years ago, a store
bought kicker sub, all powered by a Phoenix Gold amp about 50wattsx4.

What would I be looking at powerwise for this setup. The existing power
wire is about a #6 or #8 coming directly from the car battery as per
the manual for the amp. Anyone?
Thankxx

http://www.usenet.com

More about : car audio studio

Anonymous
October 23, 2004 11:23:28 PM

zz zzzz <berrydoor857@yahoo.com> wrote in news:231020041137178625%
berrydoor857@yahoo.com:

> What would I be looking at powerwise for this setup. The existing power
> wire is about a #6 or #8 coming directly from the car battery as per
> the manual for the amp. Anyone?

Take a look at HAM Radio Power supplies... some radio power supplies can
generate enough amps to power a car radio setup.

--
Lucas Tam (REMOVEnntp@rogers.com)
October 23, 2004 11:23:29 PM

In article <Xns958B9CD333BF4nntprogerscom@140.99.99.130>, Lucas Tam
<REMOVEnntp@rogers.com> wrote:

> zz zzzz <berrydoor857@yahoo.com> wrote in news:231020041137178625%
> berrydoor857@yahoo.com:
>
> > What would I be looking at powerwise for this setup. The existing power
> > wire is about a #6 or #8 coming directly from the car battery as per
> > the manual for the amp. Anyone?
>
> Take a look at HAM Radio Power supplies... some radio power supplies can
> generate enough amps to power a car radio setup.

Thank You. That's a great idea.
Related resources
October 25, 2004 9:39:56 AM

In article <231020041137178625%berrydoor857@yahoo.com>,
zz zzzz <berrydoor857@yahoo.com> wrote:

> I have a complete audio setup from my second car that I want to put
> inside my studio to allow me to hear my mixes in a real world scenario.
> Equipment consists of Sony cd changer, some good quality car speakers
> mounted inside my old AR-18 boxes that took a dump15 years ago, a store
> bought kicker sub, all powered by a Phoenix Gold amp about 50wattsx4.
>
> What would I be looking at powerwise for this setup. The existing power
> wire is about a #6 or #8 coming directly from the car battery as per
> the manual for the amp. Anyone?
> Thankxx

> http://www.usenet.com

The response of the speakers in a room will be very different from a car
environment.

Personally, I'd deal with a wide bandwith speaker system and limited
bandwith recordings than vice versa.

To answer your question: I've used r/c car chargers to test amps/hu's on
the bench, up to about 10amps current draw. Anything more and one would
need a big dc power supply. PartsExpress.com has a couple up to 40amps.

--
cyrus

*coughcasaucedoprodigynetcough*
Anonymous
October 26, 2004 9:51:15 PM

In article
<invalid-BF5621.22432624102004@newsclstr01.news.prodigy.com>, cyrus
<invalid@i.like.spam> wrote:

> In article <231020041137178625%berrydoor857@yahoo.com>,
> zz zzzz <berrydoor857@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> > I have a complete audio setup from my second car that I want to put
> > inside my studio to allow me to hear my mixes in a real world scenario.
> > Equipment consists of Sony cd changer, some good quality car speakers
> > mounted inside my old AR-18 boxes that took a dump15 years ago, a store
> > bought kicker sub, all powered by a Phoenix Gold amp about 50wattsx4.
> >
> > What would I be looking at powerwise for this setup. The existing power
> > wire is about a #6 or #8 coming directly from the car battery as per
> > the manual for the amp. Anyone?
> > Thankxx
> >
> > Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
> > ** SPEED ** RETENTION ** COMPLETION ** ANONYMITY **
> > http://www.usenet.com
>
> The response of the speakers in a room will be very different from a car
> environment.
>
> Personally, I'd deal with a wide bandwith speaker system and limited
> bandwith recordings than vice versa.
>
> To answer your question: I've used r/c car chargers to test amps/hu's on
> the bench, up to about 10amps current draw. Anything more and one would
> need a big dc power supply. PartsExpress.com has a couple up to 40amps.

Thank You..If I decide to go ahead with this after all of the
considerations and input, I will definitly give PartsExpress a call.
Anonymous
October 27, 2004 6:09:30 AM

"zz zzzz" <berrydoor857@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> I have a complete audio setup from my second car that I want to put
> inside my studio to allow me to hear my mixes in a real world scenario.
> Equipment consists of Sony cd changer, some good quality car speakers
> mounted inside my old AR-18 boxes that took a dump15 years ago, a store
> bought kicker sub, all powered by a Phoenix Gold amp about 50wattsx4.
>
> What would I be looking at powerwise for this setup. The existing power
> wire is about a #6 or #8 coming directly from the car battery as per
> the manual for the amp. Anyone?
> Thankxx

Of course, you'll be able to hear what it sounds like through that system,
but a BIG part of what audio sounds like in a car is due to the environment
itself. Having said that, it is quite possible that what you propose will
be a valuable "check" system. As long as you aren't expecting it to sound
like you are IN a car, you'll be fine.

Kendall
!