Am I bottlenecking?

grxog

Honorable
Feb 23, 2013
Hello,
I have an amd phenom x6 core processor clocked at 800MHz a core... I recently installed a 6850, and im getting low fps on games, gta iv, and fallout new vegas. Is this because im bottle necking? I have a 650watt peak psu, its a shark psu with only one 6 pin pci connector, but i have a molex to 6 pin pci connector, that's what im using for the second pci plug on my card. Am I getting low fps because im bottle necking? or is my power supply insufficient?

Also, my processor is an AMD Phenom II X6 1045T (6 cpus) ~800MHz.

I was told that this is an error, that somethings wrong in my BIOS. I was also told that the lowest 1045T model is clocked at 2.4GHz. Is there any way to fix this? And yes, I do have a 6850. It says on the side of the card.

Azn Cracker

Distinguished
Yea your cpu shouldn't be clocked at 800 mhz. I you sure thats not the idle clocks? Sometimes the mobo will underclock the cpu to save power. Make sure by running a benchmark or something and then check your speeds.

At full speeds, the cpu shouldn't be too much of a bottleneck so you might just have to turn the settings down.

Oh yea your psu is fine.

grxog

Honorable
Feb 23, 2013

How would I find out the full speed of my CPU? And is says 800MHz in DxDiag.

omnimodis78

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2008
800Mhz is the typical Cool'n'Quiet (AMD speed throttling technology) power saving speed of your CPU. Everything is OK! When your CPU doesn't have to be at full-speeds, it simply goes into idle mode by lowering the voltage (hence lower heat) and so its speed decreases. This is exactly what it's supposed to do, and it's a very good thing! If you open a program or something that needs more speed, the CPU automatically comes out of idle and increases the voltage, thus the speed. It all happens automatically, and is very very efficient.

Use CPU-Z to look at the current speeds of your CPU -> http://www.cpuid.com/downloads/cpu-z/1.63-64bits-en.zip
And Prime95 to kick-in the full speeds of your CPU -> http://files.extremeoverclocking.com/download.php?fh=84aa92208050bf61b75f20c454fd87a7

While p95 is doing the test, look at the numbers in CPU-z and that should show you the full speed of the CPU. Simple as that.

If the speed remains at 800Mhz during the p95 test, we can look at what the problem might possibly be, but for now, it sounds like it's a non-issue.

grxog

Honorable
Feb 23, 2013

During the Prime95 Stress test, I was looking at CPU-Z. The "Core Speed" Box maxed out a 800.05MHz. It did not go above that.