Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

What should i invest in?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
February 24, 2013 4:07:59 PM

Hello everyone, I need help deciding a affordable graphics card. My budget is 100-200$ I am planning on rebuilding my pc but doing everything one at a time and i am more concerned with my graphics card compared to anything else. My computer may seem alittle outdated but i am planning on rebuilding it. I would like some feedback regarding on a good graphics card.

Computer Specs:

Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601) Service Pack 1

System Manufacturer: HP-Pavilion

System Model: KJ294AA-ABA m9252p

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6700 @ 2.66GHz (4 CPUs), ~2.7GHz

RAM Memory: 6144MB RAM

Graphics Card name: ATI FireGL V7200 (Microsoft Corporation - WDDM) ---> This is now discontinued i checked on NewEgg.

Manufacturer: ATI Technologies Inc.

DigitalIn (Realtek High Definition Audio)

Speakers (Realtek High Definition Audio)

Power Supply: HP 350W POWER SUPPLY 24 PIN ( DPS-350AB-8 A )

More about : invest

a b U Graphics card
February 24, 2013 4:24:54 PM

Hey,

If you plan on gaming and have $200 budget then a new graphics card would offer the largest performance increase. For $200 you can get a nice hd7850:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Or if you are willing to spend a bit more, you could get a gtx660 for $229.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

For gaming that would give you a nice FPS boost. You still have a decent quad core CPU, and 6Gb of RAM so that should allow your card to perform well.

What power supply do you have in your machine? I see its a HP Pavilion, and they usually don't come with large power supplies so you may need a new one. For a hd7850 you will need at least a ~450-500watt PSU, along with one 6 pin PCI-E power connector. A gtx660 requires at least a 450watt psu, although you could probably get away with having a 400watt but that would be cutting it close.


Hope this helps!
m
0
l
a c 191 U Graphics card
February 24, 2013 4:39:43 PM

You must consider the capability of your PSU before you replace the graphics card. If the PSU is insufficient, at best it will simply shut down when you start up a game, and at worst it will die violently, possibly killing attached parts.
If you need to replace the PSU, the cheapest model I'd consider is the $39 Antec VP-450. It isn't 80+, although it is efficient enough; it is disqualified for not having full range active PFC. This PSU won't offer a whole lot of future-resistance however; something in the 550W range would be better.
If you get the VP-450, you would have enough left to get a GTX650Ti. If you spent a little more and got something like a 550W XFX or Rosewill Capstone, you'd probably be limited to a HD7770 unless you increased your budget.
m
0
l
Related resources
February 24, 2013 5:05:18 PM

fil1p said:
Hey,

If you plan on gaming and have $200 budget then a new graphics card would offer the largest performance increase. For $200 you can get a nice hd7850:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Or if you are willing to spend a bit more, you could get a gtx660 for $229.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

For gaming that would give you a nice FPS boost. You still have a decent quad core CPU, and 6Gb of RAM so that should allow your card to perform well.

What power supply do you have in your machine? I see its a HP Pavilion, and they usually don't come with large power supplies so you may need a new one. For a hd7850 you will need at least a ~450-500watt PSU, along with one 6 pin PCI-E power connector. A gtx660 requires at least a 450watt psu, although you could probably get away with having a 400watt but that would be cutting it close.


Hope this helps!


Are there ones for 100-150 or can extend to 170$ i dont have a problem getting one for 200$ but i want to play games like crysis 3 and Need for speed most wanted 2012. Also i updated my thread regarding my power supply its pretty bad 350watts.

Onus said:
You must consider the capability of your PSU before you replace the graphics card. If the PSU is insufficient, at best it will simply shut down when you start up a game, and at worst it will die violently, possibly killing attached parts.
If you need to replace the PSU, the cheapest model I'd consider is the $39 Antec VP-450. It isn't 80+, although it is efficient enough; it is disqualified for not having full range active PFC. This PSU won't offer a whole lot of future-resistance however; something in the 550W range would be better.
If you get the VP-450, you would have enough left to get a GTX650Ti. If you spent a little more and got something like a 550W XFX or Rosewill Capstone, you'd probably be limited to a HD7770 unless you increased your budget.


Thanks added to my list for my reconstruction of my pc.
m
0
l
a c 191 U Graphics card
February 24, 2013 5:17:42 PM

With a 350W PSU you'd be limited right now to a HD7750. That card can play any game, but many will need [drastically] lowered settings.
m
0
l
February 24, 2013 7:17:19 PM

Onus said:
With a 350W PSU you'd be limited right now to a HD7750. That card can play any game, but many will need [drastically] lowered settings.


what do you mean by "but many will need [drastically] lowered settings."
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
February 24, 2013 8:53:53 PM

ExtortionPC said:
what do you mean by "but many will need [drastically] lowered settings."

What he means is that having a 350watt power supply will limit you to only being able to handle a hd7750. A hd7750 is a mid range card, and will let you play almost any game, but in many games your graphics settings will have to be lowered. So you will not be able to play games on their maximum or very high graphical settings.

If you get a bigger power supply you could try and get something like a hd7850.
m
0
l
a c 191 U Graphics card
February 25, 2013 5:03:39 AM

Yes, that's it exactly.
m
0
l
!