Sign in with
Your question

Building a PC for the first time...Please help

Last response: in Components
March 31, 2002 3:48:14 AM

I'm building a PC for the first time. I have done some research and came up with the following configuration. Please tell me whether or not the components are good choices and if they are compatible with each other. Thanks for the help.

Case - Antec sx1040B full tower w/ 4 x 5.25", 2 x 3.5", internal 4 x 3.5"

Power - NONE chosen...please recommend one Enermax 400 watts...model?

CPU - AMD Athlon XP 2000+/266 FSB or 2100+/266 FSB

Mobo - Gigabyte GA-7VRXP v1.1

HSF - CoolerMaster DP5-7H53F-Aluminum

Thermal paste - Arctic Silver III

Memory - Corsair 512MB PC2400 - 2 sticks

HD - Western Digital SE 120GB 7200RPM EIDE

Graphics - Visiontek Xtasy GeForce Ti-4600 128MB DDR

Sound - Sound Blaster Audigy Platinum EX

DVD-ROM - Toshiba 16x/48x SD-M1612

CD-RW - Plextor PX-W4012TA-BPS 40x/12x/40x

Modem - Creative Modem Blaster Flash56 PCI...What is a good ethernet card?

Keyboard - Microsoft Internet Keyboard or generic 107-key

Mouse - Microsoft IntelliMouse Explorer

Also, I have a couple questions.

1. Which mobo chipset is better, the nForce or VIA KT333

2. What is the PCxxxx RAM equivalent of mobo FSB-333?

Thanks for your help.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by luap256 on 04/01/02 07:47 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

More about : building time

March 31, 2002 5:52:46 AM

I would go with KT 333 since it should perform better. PC27000 RAM equivalent of mobo FSB-333.
March 31, 2002 5:58:35 AM

Antec sx1040B case already have an 400 Watt Antec PSU. It is not as good as Enermax PSU but it is acceptable. I like 3com NIC but they cost more. My cousin have good experience with D-Link NIC. D-Link NIC is cheaper than 3com NIC.
Related resources
March 31, 2002 3:22:45 PM

Thanks for the input.
Would I be able to switch out the Antec power supply that comes with the case for a better Enermax one?
Also, how is my overall configuration, compatibility-wise?
April 1, 2002 5:18:15 PM

Looks good, but you might want to choose an other soundcard (don't know which but the Live! sometimes give problems).
It looks like your planning to OC (PC2400 RAM, Arctic Silver 3). If you want best get a DDR333 board with PC2700 RAM, and choose a better heatsink like Alpha or Swiftech.

<b>THGC:</b> before: :frown: :eek:  , after: :smile: :cool: .
April 1, 2002 9:26:23 PM

The Turtle Beach Santa CRUZ is an Excellent, High Quality Sound Card, you won't be going wrong with selecting that. If i was you i would do the 2100+ with a Kt333 chipset, Not sure if it's out yet but i know SOYO is making there Kt333 board soon...there was no info on there site ?

Measure Twice, Cut Once!!
April 1, 2002 9:53:19 PM

Antec makes great PSUs, stick with that one. Enermax's are better, but they're not worth the extra cash (unless you can sell off your Antec to someone).

Are you planning on overclocking? If not, get the retail Athlon and use the included heatsink.

There's no Live Platinum eX. I assume you mean the Audigy. I'd recommend the Hercules Game Theater XP instead, you'll like it a lot more.

For a NIC, I've got a Netgear FA310tx in my box, nothing special but no complaints. Unless you're going with a gigabit card, I wouldn't worry too much about which kind.

<font color=blue>If you don't buy Windows, then the terrorists have already won!</font color=blue> - Microsoft
April 2, 2002 12:26:57 AM

Thanks to all for the help.

I think I most likely will go with the 2100+ and a KT333 based mobo with PC2700 DDR RAM setup.

As for the soundcard, it's still a tossup between the Turtle Beach Santa Cruz and Hercules Game Theater XP. I just have a couple of questions regarding these soundcards.
1. Are these soundcards readily available at both online vendors and stores like CompUSA?
2. Please tell me a little bit more (pros/cons (if any)) between the two soundcards.

I have also read about Soyo mobos a couple times. They seem to be very popular. What makes them stand out from the likes of Gigabyte, Asus, or MSI (additional features, better stability)?

I might overclock somewhat (not too much) so I expect to replace the retail HSF. svol suggested Alpha or Swiftech - is there a particular model that I should get?

The Antec case does come with an Antec PSU. They newegg.com labels it as an "original P4" PSU. Is this compatible with AMD mobos?

And still more questions...

Is newegg.com a reputable vendor? Also, please suggest others so I can compare prices.

Does anyone know the estimated ship date of the AMD Thoroughbred CPU's?

Does anyone know when RAM faster than DDR333 will be available?

Is the nForce2 chipset worth waiting for?

Sorry for the multitude of questions. I just want to be thoroughly informed before finalizing my specs. Thanks again for all the help.
April 2, 2002 2:30:52 AM

You can get the case without the PSU from newegg.com.
April 2, 2002 4:00:28 PM

"Is newegg.com a reputable vendor?"

I bought my whole ecomputer from them (1300 dollars worth) and had zero problems. They replaced my CPU no questions asked (it was doa). I will certainly buy from them again.

MStakem
April 3, 2002 12:20:56 PM

most poepel here feel that newegg is one of the best online retailers out there.

<font color=red>Gasoline + Fire</font color=red><font color=green> Can be a lot of fun</font color=green> :smile: :smile: :smile:
April 3, 2002 1:50:50 PM

Not sure about the Santa Cruz, but i know CompUSA sells the Game Theater XP, as for the difference, the Game Theater XP is basically the same thing as the Santa Cruz but the Game Theater XP has an External rack, with USB ports, and a bunch of Goodies, do a search on it, you will see what the box looks like, there is a bunch of Inputs on it.. i think it even has FireWire Input.. if you don't have the room or anything like that, the Turtle Beach SC is an Excellent Choice...

Measure Twice, Cut Once!!
!