Sign in with
Your question

Digital glitches on my desktop amd 7970

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
February 24, 2013 9:44:54 PM

Upgraded from an nvidia card to a radeon 7970.

I uninstalled all the nvidia drivers/software and then installed the latest catalyst drivers.

So far I've seen some weird glitches on my desktop. I have two monitors. On my 2nd monitor if i left it alone for a few minutes it would get these weird little glitches that would appear, usually around the borders of any windows i had open. if i moved my mouse onto the screen and did anything, they'd usually go away until I left it idle for a few minutes.

And just now I had my mouse pointer go all weird - turned into what looked sort of like three periods on top of each other. And it would change depending on what I moused over or clicked. rebooted to correct it.

Never had any of these problems with the nvidia card.

Haven't seen any glitches in games yet.

Any suggestions?
February 24, 2013 9:51:20 PM

Yes I have seen that happen, did u have a web browser with something with FLASH open, that does it for me, its just a glitch , nothing fancy, nothing to worry about
m
l
February 24, 2013 10:14:27 PM

Yeah i might have had some flash on the screen at the time. I'm not really 'worried', but it is annoying, especially since I had zero problems coming from the nvidia card.

There's no settings or anything to change to fix it?

thanks
m
l
Related resources
February 24, 2013 10:24:11 PM

merk said:
Yeah i might have had some flash on the screen at the time. I'm not really 'worried', but it is annoying, especially since I had zero problems coming from the nvidia card.

There's no settings or anything to change to fix it?

thanks

I had the same thing with my XFX 7970 GHz Ed that I had to return but that one had the glitches even during gaming. So I guess I had a bad card. I took it back and grabbed 2x Sapphire HD 7970 today and here I am with no issues. I saw the glitch once but not red as it was with my XFX. So I hope nothing happens to these 2 brand new beautiful babies. Keep monitoring your PC. If I see the glitches again then I am going to re-install windows completely just to be sure.

PS: I also moved from Nvidia to AMD. These cards are running stock but I'm sure they can reach the levels of GHz Ed.
m
l
February 24, 2013 10:46:02 PM

Really eh? Weird!
m
l
February 24, 2013 11:56:04 PM

I get more mouse cursor corruption in multi monitor mode with overclocked cards with a web browser open with the flash plugin loaded, its like this weird combo that causes it for me, i know people still suffer it but its not to much to be worried about its a known driver bug they still have trouble finding the cause of
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
February 24, 2013 11:59:02 PM

I can attend that its not only you. I rarely get this as well(though i haven't gotten it since i've updated my drivers) the mouse thing tends to go away after a while.
m
l
February 25, 2013 1:08:20 AM

I only got it with XFX card which was so bad and it would happen with a single monitor. So I took it back. Running 2 cards right now and I haven't seen anything like that. I am talking heavy horizontal lines running from top to bottom. And the coil whine on mine was so bad, it was like a jet engine at 50% fan load. The 2 sapphire don't even come close and barely audible at 70%.
m
l
March 4, 2013 2:05:10 AM

The glitches i was getting are gone now after i updated to the latest beta drivers. however, there's still some glitchiness with flash. Instead of those weird artifacts on the screen there's a delay when ever i open a new tab with anything flash in it. I guess that's better then that was there before. But still not perfect.
m
l
March 11, 2013 4:50:55 AM

I installed their latest beta drivers and that made things a little better. Still a little glitchy since if i open a tab with flash on it, the browser locks up for 2-3 seconds each time I open a new tab with flash on it. But I guess that's a little better then what it was doing it before.
m
l
!