Radeon 7850. 32bit or 64bit?

Status
Not open for further replies.

synnchan

Honorable
Feb 24, 2013
Hello everyone... I want to buy a new computer, and I'm aiming towards one that can run both ps1 and ps2 emulators without any flaws or lag, at max or close to max settings. So... after browsing a while around the web, I found out that the i5 ~ i7 processors along with a Radeon 7850 or higher would be quite enough to get the job done. However...

I'm more inclined to use a 32bits system rather than a 64 one, because I read that 64b has trouble to run properly a lot of stuff from 32b (which I heavily use, so I don't wanna lose any of them). And after reading the reccomendations for Radeon 7850, it says a 64b is highly reccomended (not sure why though, so, I'd be glad if someone could make the reasons clear to me as well).

Not only that, but it also says that R7850's minimum requirement of RAM is 4GB, which is the maximum a 32bits system with Windows 7 can have. So, what if I get a 32b and this video card ends up eating all of my RAM...?

Please, I'd like some help.

Solution
Hey,

Yes you should get 64bit Windows, otherwise you will be limited to a total of 4GB, as jnkweaver said, which will be split into 2GB for the GPU, and 2GB for the RAM. So make sure to get 64bit windows. Application compatibility is very good, so it shouldn't be a problem at all. Worst case you could run a virtual machine to run programs or games that don't play nice with 64 bit windows.

Hope this helps!

fil1p

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2010
Hey,

Yes you should get 64bit Windows, otherwise you will be limited to a total of 4GB, as jnkweaver said, which will be split into 2GB for the GPU, and 2GB for the RAM. So make sure to get 64bit windows. Application compatibility is very good, so it shouldn't be a problem at all. Worst case you could run a virtual machine to run programs or games that don't play nice with 64 bit windows.

Hope this helps!

Solution

synnchan

Honorable
Feb 24, 2013
Yes that's right, but I've read there are still some exceptions as well.

However, I've just found this WOW64 thing, which will be apparently enough to solve my problems.

There's also this video, that seems to show it goes to the regedit. Then some people on the comments are complaining over not having it, then a person says this feature is exclusive to W7 Professional and Ultimate.

Question is... if I get either of the two above as my OS, will this feature come natively pre-installed already, or do I still need to download it afterwards?

I just want to make sure, since I'll have to spend a lot of money to upgrade my computer, so I don't want to screw up and regret later.

fil1p

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2010
Hey,

Regedit allows you to make changes to the registry and as jnkweaver said it is not limited to windows 7 professional/ultimate.
From what I have read WOW64 is included on all 64bit versions of windows.

Hope this helps!

Status
Not open for further replies.