Fresh off the press - Tivo to supply Comcast...

Last response: in Home Theatre Legacy
March 15, 2005 1:30:19 PM

Scooby wrote:
> http://money.excite.com/ht/nw/bus/20050315/hle_bus-wen7...

Wow! I didn't see that coming, though looking back, things have been a
bit too quiet! There's more info at
http://www.tivo.com/5.3.1.1.asp?article=246 .

I'm especially interested in this quote:

"In addition, the service will showcase TiVo's home networking,
multimedia, and broadband capabilities. "

which indicates that they won't be hobbling the feature set like Directv
does.

As of right now Tivo stock is up 55%.

Oh, Seanie, how's your "Tivo, dead company walking" quote looking now?
I'm almost interested enough to see how he attempts to negatively spin
this to unfilter him for today. Do you think he'll try to back out of
his statement that Tivo will be out of business 6 months after Directv
releases their own DVR?

The only bad thing from my end is that I'm on Cox, so I won't be seeing
any direct benefit.

Randy S.
Anonymous
March 15, 2005 1:30:20 PM

On Tue, 15 Mar 2005 10:30:19 -0500, Randy S. wrote:

> Oh, Seanie, how's your "Tivo, dead company walking" quote looking now?
> I'm almost interested enough to see how he attempts to negatively spin
> this to unfilter him for today.

I'm guessing it will be related to the fact that TiVo isn't supplying the
boxes, only the software...

--
Lenroc
Related resources

For someone like myself that has both TiVo and Comcast HD DVR, I think this is good news. Question
is, and I haven't researched this, will I have to pay another lifetime service for the Comcast DVR
when it gets the new software? Or does
my contract apply to all devices? I'm guessing not.

As far as features go, I don't think the programming of the DVR is all that bad. Kind of like the
TV Guide format.

What I'll really like is the networking, and TTG. Might even move my TiVo up so the wife can use
it in the bedroom.

"Randy S." <rswittno@spamgmail.com> wrote in message news:D 16v2b$1eou$1@spnode25.nerdc.ufl.edu...
> Scooby wrote:
>> http://money.excite.com/ht/nw/bus/20050315/hle_bus-wen7...
>
> Wow! I didn't see that coming, though looking back, things have been a bit too quiet! There's
> more info at http://www.tivo.com/5.3.1.1.asp?article=246 .
>
> I'm especially interested in this quote:
>
> "In addition, the service will showcase TiVo's home networking, multimedia, and broadband
> capabilities. "
>
> which indicates that they won't be hobbling the feature set like Directv does.
>
> As of right now Tivo stock is up 55%.
>
> Oh, Seanie, how's your "Tivo, dead company walking" quote looking now? I'm almost interested
> enough to see how he attempts to negatively spin this to unfilter him for today. Do you think
> he'll try to back out of his statement that Tivo will be out of business 6 months after Directv
> releases their own DVR?
>
> The only bad thing from my end is that I'm on Cox, so I won't be seeing any direct benefit.
>
> Randy S.
Anonymous
March 15, 2005 5:10:52 PM

> What I'll really like is the networking, and TTG. Might even move my TiVo up so the wife can use
> it in the bedroom.

Yes, that was one of the more interesting comments.

Randy S.
March 15, 2005 7:41:25 PM

* Lenroc Wrote in alt.video.ptv.tivo:

> On Tue, 15 Mar 2005 10:30:19 -0500, Randy S. wrote:
>
>> Oh, Seanie, how's your "Tivo, dead company walking" quote looking
>> now? I'm almost interested enough to see how he attempts to
>> negatively spin this to unfilter him for today.
>
> I'm guessing it will be related to the fact that TiVo isn't
> supplying the boxes, only the software...

Isnt that basically true today? Tivo is not a hardware manufacturer are
they?

--
David
Anonymous

> Isnt that basically true today? Tivo is not a hardware manufacturer are
> they?

I'd say that's a fairly complex question. Tivo sells hardware under
their name, but contracts out the manufacture, so I don't know how you'd
define that.

But I'd argue (and most would agree I think), by far the most important
part of Tivo's products is the software, not the hardware.

Randy S.
Anonymous
March 15, 2005 7:41:26 PM

On Tue, 15 Mar 2005 16:41:25 +0000, SINNER wrote:

> * Lenroc Wrote in alt.video.ptv.tivo:
>
>> I'm guessing it will be related to the fact that TiVo isn't
>> supplying the boxes, only the software...
>>

> Isnt that basically true today? Tivo is not a hardware manufacturer are
> they?

I was trying to point out what I thought Sean would pick up on, not
necessarily any 'bad points'...

--
Lenroc
March 15, 2005 7:48:07 PM

"Scooby" <mmscooby1@removeme.earthlink.net> wrote in news:47252$4236f33e
$a22770bd$18362@ALLTEL.NET:

> http://money.excite.com/ht/nw/bus/20050315/hle_bus-wen7...

Oh Sean...I'm so so sorry. Although, I AM kinda interested in seeing what
happens when a one trick pony loses his one trick.

Sean...Dead Troll Walking.

March 15, 2005 8:18:49 PM

* Lenroc Wrote in alt.video.ptv.tivo:

> On Tue, 15 Mar 2005 16:41:25 +0000, SINNER wrote:
>
>> * Lenroc Wrote in alt.video.ptv.tivo:
>>
>>> I'm guessing it will be related to the fact that TiVo isn't
>>> supplying the boxes, only the software...
>>>

>> Isnt that basically true today? Tivo is not a hardware
>> manufacturer are they?
>
> I was trying to point out what I thought Sean would pick up on,
> not necessarily any 'bad points'...

Yeah, I know, I was just trying to thwart his arguement before it came
up.

--
David
March 15, 2005 8:19:07 PM

* Howard Wrote in alt.video.ptv.tivo:

> Sean...Dead Troll Walking.

ROTFL!

--
David
Anonymous

Lenroc <lenroc@NOSPAMFORYOU.hotmail.com> shaped the electrons to say:
>I'm guessing it will be related to the fact that TiVo isn't supplying the
>boxes, only the software...

That's an upside, really - HW is a shitty business to be in.

Comcast is paying the up-front development costs for this too, as well
as some fee based on the number of subscribers (ala DTV).

-MZ, RHCE #806199299900541, ex-CISSP #3762
<URL:http://www.megazone.org/&gt; <URL:http://www.eyrie-productions.com/&gt; Eris
Anonymous
March 15, 2005 8:44:52 PM

> Comcast is paying the up-front development costs for this too, as well
> as some fee based on the number of subscribers (ala DTV).
>
> -MZ, RHCE #806199299900541, ex-CISSP #3762

Are they? One article I read specifically said that they were concerned
because they didn't have any details about Comcast supplying upfront
development funds. Did you read that in an article, or are you privy to
some inside info ;-).

Randy S.
Anonymous
March 15, 2005 8:45:33 PM

SINNER <arcade.master@googlemail.net> shaped the electrons to say:
>* Howard Wrote in alt.video.ptv.tivo:
>> Sean...Dead Troll Walking.
>ROTFL!

Yeah, I am waiting to see how he'll twist this into another sign of
TiVo's demise.

-MZ, RHCE #806199299900541, ex-CISSP #3762
<URL:http://www.megazone.org/&gt; <URL:http://www.eyrie-productions.com/&gt; Eris
March 15, 2005 8:45:34 PM

On Tue, 15 Mar 2005 17:45:33 +0000 (UTC), newsREMOVE@THISmegazone.org
(MegaZone) wrote:

>SINNER <arcade.master@googlemail.net> shaped the electrons to say:
>>* Howard Wrote in alt.video.ptv.tivo:
>>> Sean...Dead Troll Walking.
>>ROTFL!
>
>Yeah, I am waiting to see how he'll twist this into another sign of
>TiVo's demise.
>
>-MZ, RHCE #806199299900541, ex-CISSP #3762

That's pretty funny Megadope. Can you give us that link to your blog
where you just posted a long analysis saying that Tivo didn't need
cable, HD is no big deal, Tivo is fine without a cable deal.

Please.

What was the link?

Let's all have a good laugh.

Sean
March 15, 2005 8:45:35 PM

"Sean" <none> wrote in message
> On Tue, 15 Mar 2005 17:45:33 +0000 (UTC), newsREMOVE@THISmegazone.org
> (MegaZone) wrote:
>
>>SINNER <arcade.master@googlemail.net> shaped the electrons to say:
>>>ROTFL!
>>
>>Yeah, I am waiting to see how he'll twist this into another sign of
>>TiVo's demise.
>>
>>-MZ, RHCE #806199299900541, ex-CISSP #3762
>

> That's pretty funny Megadope. Can you give us that link to your blog
> where you just posted a long analysis saying that Tivo didn't need
> cable, HD is no big deal, Tivo is fine without a cable deal.
>
> Please.
>
> What was the link?
>
> Let's all have a good laugh.
>
> Sean

At least you get some real software on your dvr now.
Anonymous
March 15, 2005 10:19:58 PM

"Randy S." <rswittno@spamgmail.com> shaped the electrons to say:
>development funds. Did you read that in an article, or are you privy to
>some inside info ;-).

It was in another article.

-MZ, RHCE #806199299900541, ex-CISSP #3762
<URL:http://www.megazone.org/&gt; <URL:http://www.eyrie-productions.com/&gt; Eris
Anonymous
March 15, 2005 10:19:59 PM

MegaZone wrote:
> "Randy S." <rswittno@spamgmail.com> shaped the electrons to say:
>
>>development funds. Did you read that in an article, or are you privy to
>>some inside info ;-).
>

> It was in another article.
>
> -MZ, RHCE #806199299900541, ex-CISSP #3762

I figured it might be, the news is so new that not everyone has all the
facts yet. If you can manage to find it again, can you post the link?
Thanks!

Randy S.
Anonymous
March 15, 2005 10:23:09 PM

Sean <none> shaped the electrons to say:
>That's pretty funny Megadope. Can you give us that link to your blog
>where you just posted a long analysis saying that Tivo didn't need
>cable, HD is no big deal, Tivo is fine without a cable deal.
>
>Please.
>
>What was the link?

That'd be here:
http://www.livejournal.com/community/tivolovers/140090....

And I still stand by everything I said.

I know you have congnitive problems, but not *needing* something isn't
the same as it being a good thing to have it. I think any licensing
deals TiVo can do are good for them - providing there is a reasonable
ROI of course - but I don't believe this deal 'saved' TiVo or
anything.

-MZ, RHCE #806199299900541, ex-CISSP #3762
<URL:http://www.megazone.org/&gt; <URL:http://www.eyrie-productions.com/&gt; Eris
Anonymous
March 15, 2005 10:23:10 PM

> That'd be here:
> http://www.livejournal.com/community/tivolovers/140090....
>
> And I still stand by everything I said.
>
> I know you have congnitive problems, but not *needing* something isn't
> the same as it being a good thing to have it. I think any licensing
> deals TiVo can do are good for them - providing there is a reasonable
> ROI of course - but I don't believe this deal 'saved' TiVo or
> anything.
>
> -MZ, RHCE #806199299900541, ex-CISSP #3762

Sean will never admit that anyone here has ever posted a balanced
opinion. Basically he ignores everything that doesn't fit his
predefined definition of how everyone else thinks. But for his benefit
this is what the general consensus has been:

- Tivo *could* survive as a standalone product/company if necessary
based on superior interface/customer relations, but it would most likely
have a much lower subscriber base than otherwise. New upgraded units w/
Cablecard 2, HD, and Digital sound support would be helpful, if not
necessary.

- Agreements with Cable companies/Sat companies to supply software or
hardware is highly desirable and probably necessary to lift Tivo above
being a niche product once non-Tivo DVR's become commonplace and
somewhat reliable.

Fortunately Tivo has made a *big* stride towards the 2nd point!

Randy S.
Anonymous
March 15, 2005 11:08:31 PM

http://today.reuters.com/news/newsArticle.aspx?type=tec...

-MZ, RHCE #806199299900541, ex-CISSP #3762
<URL:http://www.megazone.org/&gt; <URL:http://www.eyrie-productions.com/&gt; Eris
Anonymous
March 15, 2005 11:08:32 PM

MegaZone wrote:
> "Randy S." <rswittno@spamgmail.com> shaped the electrons to say:
>
>>I figured it might be, the news is so new that not everyone has all the
>>facts yet. If you can manage to find it again, can you post the link?
>>Thanks!
>

> http://today.reuters.com/news/newsArticle.aspx?type=tec...
>
> -MZ, RHCE #806199299900541, ex-CISSP #3762

Thanks, I hadn't read that one.

Randy S.
Anonymous
March 16, 2005 2:36:43 AM

In article <Xns961A6DE3C4EE7stile@129.250.170.81>, Howard
<stile99@email.com.> wrote:

> Oh Sean...I'm so so sorry. Although, I AM kinda interested in seeing what
> happens when a one trick pony loses his one trick.

They sell him to the French, who eat him for le lunch.

Bye bye Sean the Pawn. Now all we need to hear from is the Stable
Cable guy.
Anonymous
March 16, 2005 6:23:57 AM

In article <GrOdnXYJIoClv6rfRVn-hg@comcast.com>,
"Tivo'ed" <pcrud@nospam.com> wrote:

> > The only bad thing from my end is that I'm on Cox, so I won't be seeing any
> > direct benefit.
> >
> > Randy S.

Comcast is a tipping point. All the Cable companies will fall in line
now wanting TiVo DVRs.
Anonymous
March 18, 2005 5:19:18 AM

Tivo'ed wrote:
> will I have to pay another lifetime service for the Comcast DVR
> when it gets the new software?

I expect that you won't be able to buy a DVR from Comcast; the
deal will be pay-per-month only. Lifetime service has no meaning
when you don't own the box.

-Joe
!