Sign in with
Your question

Instant system shutdown w/graphics card installed

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
February 25, 2013 1:13:00 AM

Hello, I've just recently encountered this problem and was hoping to get some help:

After launching a game or starting a more intensive process, my computer will turn itself off shortly after the game has started running. I can make it to the main menu, sometimes load the level, but not more than that. I've never had trouble like this before this past week.

These are recent events on my computer that I thought may be tied to this issue:

1. Updating Nvidia Geforce drivers to 314.07
2. Uninstalling a number of games to free up hard drive space
3. Downloading and installing TERA Online (Massive: Need 50 GBs free space for download, when installed takes up 25 GB)

To update the Geforce drivers I used the Nvidia Geforce Experience after it notified me of the new update. This was the first time I'd used the software to do so, normally I download from the geforce website. From what I could tell, it installed the new drivers on top of the old ones and I was not prompted for a system restart but did so anyway.

Here are some of the steps I've taken to troubleshoot the problem:

First I rolled back the drivers to the previous version, no improvement. I uninstalled the drivers to then make a clean install of the new drivers with no improvement, then the previous drivers also with no improvement. I removed the graphics card and used the onboard GPU to make an attempt at running games without a shutdown, this was successful. I was able to launch Shogun 2 and Far Cry 3 on high settings, the game dragged heavily of course but no shutdown. I used a driver cleaner to cleanup any remnants of the drivers I uninstalled, then replaced the graphics card and cleanly installed the Geforce 310.90 version drivers before making another attempt at launching a game. Once again this resulted in the computer instantly turning off after making it to the main menu and loading the level for a few seconds.

This is where I am now and I'm unsure of what steps to take next. Could it be that there's no longer enough juice coming from the PSU to have everything run smoothly with the graphics card? Are the temperatures getting too high? Is there some reason downloading and installing TERA Online could have affected the system this way?

Some System Specs:
AMD Athlon II X4 635 Processor 2.90 GHz
Nvidia GeForce GTX 670
4.00 GB RAM
Corsair 600W PSU
Windows 7 64-bit OS
AMD 785G Hybrid Crossfire mobo
CPU Idle Temp is 55 C (130 F)
GPU Idle Temp is 32 C (89 F)

Any and all help is appreciated, thank you for your time.

-Mario

a c 202 U Graphics card
February 25, 2013 3:13:36 AM

have you tried running msi afterburner and turning up the gpu fans to see if it was a heat issue?? also have you tried running the unreal engine demo to see if it the gpu by itself and not a issue with a game file?? if it not a driver issue sounds more like your power supply not holding the gpu up at max load.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
February 25, 2013 4:19:13 AM

Normally a system shutdown after power up into 3D mode, would say your having a power problem.

When a PSU can't supply enough power the system will just power off when the load is applied, try another PSU maybe there is a fault with your under load
m
l
February 26, 2013 10:27:11 PM

Hey there, thanks for the feedback. I did some more experimentation and here's what I found:

1. All my MMOs run and play just fine. So do older games, I played R.U.S.E. just fine with a friend for a couple of hours.
2. By the Unreal Engine demo, is that the UDK? I downloaded it from unrealengine.com, and ran the test area in the editor using dx9 with no problem. Then again in dx11 which resulted in the system shutting down. I also played the Unreal Tournament game included in the download (which uses dx11), and finished a few matches no problem.
3. I thought perhaps my issue may have stemmed from a malfunction with dx11, so I tried playing Civilization V both in dx9 & dx11. No problems during gameplay at all.

The common factor where I start having trouble in all my experiments is during high performance gaming. You both mentioned the PSU perhaps not delivering enough power when heavier load is applied and I'm inclined to agree. The Corsair 600W PSU I have is bronze certified and its efficiency may have degraded to a point where it's no longer able to fully sustain my system. My next step will be to have a look at the PSU, dust it out, and try again. If that doesn't work, I'll purchase a more powerful PSU to see if that makes the difference. If it does not then temperatures may be to blame, which leads me to my question:

Is there an average temperature or range of temperatures for my CPU/GPU to be safely operating in?

Thank you again for your input.

-Mario

m
l
!