Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

7950 or 660 ti which to buy?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
February 25, 2013 1:05:04 PM

Hey guys what should i buy? I have searched the web and read many reviews and come to a decision to buy a hd 7950 or 660ti. I have looked many reviews and these two are on par with each other on average! My moniter resolution is 1600x900. I have a amd phenom ii x4 965 be processor. I currently have ati radeon hd 5570, asus m4a89gtd pro usb3. It supports hybridcrossfirex i don't know what it means. I am an average gamer i usually play aaa games(not particularly bf3 or crysis others as well). I tried these games with my existing rig seemed to run well in low to mid setting and decided to upgrade! I don't use AA that often. So which is the best card for that price range! Also can a stock 7950 be overclocked to 7950 Boost level? I have 2 side fans on my atx. I intend to use it for 3 to 4 years. And suggest me a good psu for these cards! I am not looking forward to crossfire and price range about 50 to 70$. I know its a lengthy description. But please i need you help guys
Thanks in advance:-)

More about : 7950 660 buy

a c 180 U Graphics card
February 25, 2013 1:10:35 PM

For that resolution hd 7870 is enough though with max settings.hd 7950 would be beast and faster than gtx 660ti and if hd 7950 overclocked then it will be par with gtx 680.you also need to overclock that cpu for best performance.
m
0
l
February 25, 2013 1:17:11 PM

ASHISH65 said:
For that resolution hd 7870 is enough though with max settings.hd 7950 would be beast and faster than gtx 660ti and if hd 7950 overclocked then it will be par with gtx 680.you also need to overclock that cpu for best performance.

how much can my cpu be overclocked(stock cooling) and what would be the psu i need?
m
0
l
Related resources
a c 180 U Graphics card
February 25, 2013 2:20:05 PM

You need after market cooler like cooler master hyper 212 evo and it can go upto 3.8ghz i think
m
0
l
February 25, 2013 2:35:56 PM

ASHISH65 said:
You need after market cooler like cooler master hyper 212 evo and it can go upto 3.8ghz i think


thanks but what about psu! Recommend me a good 80+ bronze psu? And my stock cpu clock is 3.4 is overclocking to 3.8 optimum?
m
0
l
February 25, 2013 2:52:16 PM

I'm running a Phenom II 965 and an 7950. Yes the processor is slowing the video card back but I'm looking to upgrade it soon. On stock cooling I wouldn't go very high...maybe 100mhz. I would look at what Ashish suggested for that.

Powersupply...he's asking about what you have in your system now.

My Phenom II 965 on liquid cooling can oc up to 4.09 ghz.
m
0
l
February 25, 2013 3:04:41 PM

I totally disagree. Read some reviews and you'll find that the GTX 660 Ti beats out the 7950 in a lot of games. And the 7950 wins out in some games as well. In 3DMark11 which is the most popular graphics card benchmark, there is only a 100 point difference between the two cards. They both score around 9000 points.

And try finding a 7950 for only 279.99 right now. The average price for a 7950 is about 350$ while the 660 Ti's average is 300$. With the 7950 you can only get some of the cheap models for 299.99 if your lucky. With the 660 Ti you can get an EVGA model for 279.99 right now, sometimes a little cheaper if your lucky.

But the main reason I chose Nvidia over AMD in my rig is because of updates and quality. To me Nvidia is of the highest quality and the top name brand. AMD, to me, is just second best.
m
0
l
February 25, 2013 3:24:44 PM

drinkingcola86 said:
I'm running a Phenom II 965 and an 7950. Yes the processor is slowing the video card back but I'm looking to upgrade it soon. On stock cooling I wouldn't go very high...maybe 100mhz. I would look at what Ashish suggested for that.

Powersupply...he's asking about what you have in your system now.

My Phenom II 965 on liquid cooling can oc up to 4.09 ghz.


does a 660 ti bottle neck my cpu? I am planning to buy seasonic s12ii 520w is it enough? Does my cpu bottleneck to much on 7950 boost?
m
0
l
February 25, 2013 3:33:08 PM

ericjohn004 said:
I totally disagree. Read some reviews and you'll find that the GTX 660 Ti beats out the 7950 in a lot of games. And the 7950 wins out in some games as well. In 3DMark11 which is the most popular graphics card benchmark, there is only a 100 point difference between the two cards. They both score around 9000 points.

And try finding a 7950 for only 279.99 right now. The average price for a 7950 is about 350$ while the 660 Ti's average is 300$. With the 7950 you can only get some of the cheap models for 299.99 if your lucky. With the 660 Ti you can get an EVGA model for 279.99 right now, sometimes a little cheaper if your lucky.

But the main reason I chose Nvidia over AMD in my rig is because of updates and quality. To me Nvidia is of the highest quality and the top name brand. AMD, to me, is just second best.


i am concerned about 192bit men interface being a problem in future! Because as the graphics gets more intense it needs a widerbandwidth.
My brother has nvidia card at 128 bit! It was beating my 5570 (256bit ) at similar specs(3 to 5 fps). But at current games my 5570 is performing well than my bro's.(7 to 8 fps)
So that concern's me!
m
0
l
a c 180 U Graphics card
February 25, 2013 3:56:28 PM

Hd 7950 or 660ti will not bottleneck 965 cpu unless you overclock.that psu is enough
m
0
l
February 25, 2013 10:22:57 PM

http://www.hardocp.com/article/2012/08/23/galaxy_gtx_66...

A 7950 beats a GTX660Ti by a considerable margin if overclocked to a decent level(the 280 dollar sapphire is actually one of the best, don't let the price fool you, great VRM/choke cooling and they seem to overclock better than XFX/the more expensive ones), also it has a 384-bit bus meaning if you like to 8x/16x AA/AF it'll actually run and not turn into a laggy mess(I can max Hitman absolution and Sleeping dogs with my 1106/1250 7950, 8x/16x, but I do have a 3930k) also you can add more to do multimonitor in the future, whereas the 2GB and 192-bit bus of the GTX660Ti will cripple you.
m
0
l
February 27, 2013 10:15:49 AM

Hey guys i looked into many benchmarks and decided to buy 7950 from sapphire! But i saw some comments saying about latency issues and amd were not able to solve with sapphire card! I am confused about this latency issue what is it exactly? And does ruin my performance!
m
0
l
February 27, 2013 2:55:28 PM

You and I almost have the same setup via processor and video card. I haven't seen anything with latency issues pop up but AMD is working on fixes for the games, however the fixes are specific to the games themselves. 13.2 beta drivers fixed the latency for 3 games and made small steps for others. I'm assuming that over the course of the next year or so they will be mostly if not all fixed.
m
0
l
Anonymous
February 27, 2013 3:23:00 PM

ericjohn004 said:
I totally disagree. Read some reviews and you'll find that the GTX 660 Ti beats out the 7950 in a lot of games. And the 7950 wins out in some games as well. In 3DMark11 which is the most popular graphics card benchmark, there is only a 100 point difference between the two cards. They both score around 9000 points.

And try finding a 7950 for only 279.99 right now. The average price for a 7950 is about 350$ while the 660 Ti's average is 300$. With the 7950 you can only get some of the cheap models for 299.99 if your lucky. With the 660 Ti you can get an EVGA model for 279.99 right now, sometimes a little cheaper if your lucky.

But the main reason I chose Nvidia over AMD in my rig is because of updates and quality. To me Nvidia is of the highest quality and the top name brand. AMD, to me, is just second best.


Please stop giving out false info.The average price for a 7950 is more like $309 not $350 and a 7950 beats the 660 ti in most games even at stock.Once you overclock a 7950 to 1100 mhz which almost all of them can do without voltage tweaking your talking gtx 680 speeds nowway can the 660 ti claim that.The 7950 is the superior card in every way.The 660 ti should be priced in the $240-250 range since it competes more with the 7870.3d mark has always seemed to favor nvidia cards as well you cant go by those numbers its real world that counts.If i were the official poster id go with either a gtx 660 non ti or a 7870 that would be more then sufficient for his res
m
0
l
a c 271 U Graphics card
February 27, 2013 3:30:41 PM

Anonymous said:
Please stop giving out false info.The average price for a 7950 is more like $309 not $350 and a 7950 beats the 660 ti in most games even at stock.Once you overclock a 7950 to 1100 mhz which almost all of them can do without voltage tweaking your talking gtx 680 speeds nowway can the 660 ti claim that.The 7950 is the superior card in every way.The 660 ti should be priced in the $240-250 range since it competes more with the 7870.3d mark has always seemed to favor nvidia cards as well you cant go by those numbers its real world that counts.If i were the official poster id go with either a gtx 660 non ti or a 7870 that would be more then sufficient for his res

What makes you think that everyone wants to OC their cards?
m
0
l
Anonymous
February 27, 2013 3:35:24 PM

Mousemonkey said:
What makes you think that everyone wants to OC their cards?


Well if you get an ati 7900 card at all your wasting power if you dont.Im just stating potential of the card and nothing else.even a boost version 7950 straight out of the box runs gtx 670 speed and paying $300 for a gtx 660 ti is to much to pay when a lesser 7870 competes with it for under $250.
m
0
l
a c 271 U Graphics card
February 27, 2013 3:40:22 PM

Anonymous said:
Well if you get an ati 7900 card at all your wasting power if you dont.Im just stating potential of the card and nothing else.even a boost version 7950 straight out of the box runs gtx 670 speed and paying $300 for a gtx 660 ti is to much to pay when a lesser 7870 competes with it for under $250.

That's just your opinion though, it still doesn't mean that everyone should or indeed does OC.
m
0
l
Anonymous
February 27, 2013 3:51:49 PM

Mousemonkey said:
That's just your opinion though, it still doesn't mean that everyone should or indeed does OC.


Never said everyone overclocks just saying he gets a boost version of the 7950 he is getting gtx 670 performance which makes a 660 ti overpriced.If indeed the op doesnt oerclock then a 660 non ti would be better suited for him.That card overclocks like crap to begin with but gives good performance out of the box.
m
0
l
a c 271 U Graphics card
February 27, 2013 4:01:15 PM

Anonymous said:
Never said everyone overclocks just saying he gets a boost version of the 7950 he is getting gtx 670 performance which makes a 660 ti overpriced.If indeed the op doesnt oerclock then a 660 non ti would be better suited for him.That card overclocks like crap to begin with but gives good performance out of the box.

And if the OP were to get a 670 to begin with then then they woulkd have a faster card than the 7950 to begin with (they are in the same tier after all).
m
0
l
Anonymous
February 27, 2013 4:05:18 PM

670 isnt really any faster then a boost 7950 there pretty equal actually.I suppose if he wanted to spend $80 more on a 670 over an equal 7950 boost that is his decision.
m
0
l
March 5, 2013 11:43:20 AM

Thanks for all you replies guys. I have also studied a lot benchmarks and reviews and came to a conclusion that 660 non ti is the best value than 660ti. I will overclock after two years or so! And i have decided to watch amd for now if they are able to fix a majority games(frame latency issue!) then 7950 or else i will stick with 660 non ti! But i came across something investing! My motherboard supports crossfirex with out crossfire bridge! And they have quite specified to place the stronger gfx card on the bottom pci-e lane and relatively lower gfx card and the upper lane! Does it mean that i can crossfire with my existing 5570 with 7870? My mb model is asus m4a89gtd pro/usb3 and they have also given a switchcard to place when only one gfx is placed! Please help guys!
m
0
l
March 27, 2013 11:03:55 AM

i don't know why ever body says the 7950 over the 660 ti! the only thing the 7950 is good at is overclocking, if its just a normal out the box card 7950 or a factory overclocked 7950 it sucks i had a gigabyte 7950 900 mhz and all i got was stuttering and crap drivers i couldn't even run far cry 3 on maxed settings! same with assassins creed 3. if you overclock cards it voids warranty and reduces the cards life its plain stupid! but yeah the card was garbage don't get me wrong amd have higher fps in benchmarks but it doesn't mean s**t they have been known to have latency issues and it shows. nvidia has much smoother game play, better driver support and adpative vysnc which is awesome and under rated people say adaptive vsync is a con if that's the case go ahead and turn off vysnc on dead space 3 and get screen tearing!. when games are capped at 30 fps and you have no option but to turn of vsync off that's when adaptive vsync does wonders because it still locks the fps at 60 fps and offers smoother gameplay so no more screen tearing and having crazy fps that does nothing. amd is only good at multi monitoring, and overclocking which is just stupid! i have the gigabyte 660 ti oc 3gb edition and its awesome i can play assassins creed 3 on max settings and far cry 3 on max settings constant 60 fps the 7950 fails! and im no fan boy either i have tryed both company's and nvidia is just the better one to go with there cards are a little bit more expensive for a reason you get what you pay for!. also the 660 ti gigabyte is on par with a stock 670 and its 100 pound less well worth the money!
m
0
l
April 11, 2013 7:23:05 AM

a 660 ti beats the 7950 in the latest games such as far cry 3, crysis 3 and bishock infinite and thats just a normal 660 ti thats not an oc edition the normal 660 ti beats a 7950 boost in these games too. the gigabyte 660 ti oc edition gives an extra 7 to 9 fps over the normal 660 ti, this whole thing about the 660 ti should be beside the 7870 is nonsense the 660 ti beats that card by about 12 fps!. the 660 ti gigabyte oc edition is the card you should go for. the 192 bit only affects what resolution your playing at! if its at 1920x1080p this card is ideal for you. i had a 7950 and had nothing but hassle with drivers and choppy fps you will regret getting that card man thats why i moved to nvidia and its night and day. nvidia has way smoother gameplay, better driver support and uses less power consumption. you can get a 3gb 660 ti gigabyte for 270. not everyone oc's there card its just voids warranty, runs the card hotter and reduces the cards life. your best getting a factory overclocked card and still having that 3 year warranty to fall back on incase the card dies unless you have another 300 to splash out another card
m
0
l
May 29, 2013 5:09:19 PM

Raktron said:
ASHISH65 said:
You need after market cooler like cooler master hyper 212 evo and it can go upto 3.8ghz i think


thanks but what about psu! Recommend me a good 80+ bronze psu? And my stock cpu clock is 3.4 is overclocking to 3.8 optimum?


By overclocking, you can also overclock the graphics card itself, and the 7950 is by far the better overclocker. It can overclock to around 1.1 ghz or 1100 mhz core clock speed and around 1500-1575 memory clock speed.
m
0
l
May 29, 2013 5:12:56 PM

Guy Parris said:
a 660 ti beats the 7950 in the latest games such as far cry 3, crysis 3 and bishock infinite and thats just a normal 660 ti thats not an oc edition the normal 660 ti beats a 7950 boost in these games too. the gigabyte 660 ti oc edition gives an extra 7 to 9 fps over the normal 660 ti, this whole thing about the 660 ti should be beside the 7870 is nonsense the 660 ti beats that card by about 12 fps!. the 660 ti gigabyte oc edition is the card you should go for. the 192 bit only affects what resolution your playing at! if its at 1920x1080p this card is ideal for you. i had a 7950 and had nothing but hassle with drivers and choppy fps you will regret getting that card man thats why i moved to nvidia and its night and day. nvidia has way smoother gameplay, better driver support and uses less power consumption. you can get a 3gb 660 ti gigabyte for 270. not everyone oc's there card its just voids warranty, runs the card hotter and reduces the cards life. your best getting a factory overclocked card and still having that 3 year warranty to fall back on incase the card dies unless you have another 300 to splash out another card

Now with updated drivers I run Crysis 3 max settings at 30 frames per second and I overclocked it to be even faster. Can your 660 ti do that? And why feed nVidia money. Not only do they make phsyx and make their graphics cards cost more just because of it, but they PAY developers to not develope a physics engine like theirs for their games. There's also the question of why the hell amd wont move their asses and make a physics engine of their own, but at least they aren't ruining gaming for half the PC gamers in the world.
m
0
l
May 29, 2013 5:44:57 PM

Guy Parris said:
toastybatch565 said:
10646776,0,1289644 said:
a 660 ti beats the 7950 in the latest games such as far cry 3, crysis 3 and bishock infinite and thats just a normal 660 ti thats not an oc edition the normal 660 ti beats a 7950 boost in these games too. the gigabyte 660 ti oc edition gives an extra 7 to 9 fps over the normal 660 ti, this whole thing about the 660 ti should be beside the 7870 is nonsense the 660 ti beats that card by about 12 fps!. the 660 ti gigabyte oc edition is the card you should go for. the 192 bit only affects what resolution your playing at! if its at 1920x1080p this card is ideal for you. i had a 7950 and had nothing but hassle with drivers and choppy fps you will regret getting that card man thats why i moved to nvidia and its night and day. nvidia has way smoother gameplay, better driver support and uses less power consumption. you can get a 3gb 660 ti gigabyte for 270. not everyone oc's there card its just voids warranty, runs the card hotter and reduces the cards life. your best getting a factory overclocked card and still having that 3 year warranty to fall back on incase the card dies unless you have another 300 to splash out another card
said:

Now with updated drivers I run Crysis 3 max settings at 30 frames per second and I overclocked it to be even faster. Can your 660 ti do that? And why feed nVidia money. Not only do they make phsyx and make their graphics cards cost more just because of it, but they PAY developers to not develope a physics engine like theirs for their games. There's also the question of why the hell amd wont move their asses and make a physics engine of their own, but at least they aren't ruining gaming for half the PC gamers in the world.











i can run crysis 3 highest setting 45 to 60 fps! but i have been having very bad issues with nvidia drivers!!. so i might be heading back over to AMD if they don't solve these problems. yeah i know they are more expensive but all there cards are better out the box for performance you have to manually overclock AMD cards to get good performance but all factory overclock nvidia cards are overclocked to the max. my 7950 was only factory oc'd to 900 mhz where as the 660 ti is at 1172mhz big difference!. i dont really care about physx i rarely use it i love nvidia for smooth frame rates that's one thing that i noticed was very smooth gameplay. AMD are having latency issues in games still so its either put up with bad drivers for now or come back over to AMD and have choppy frames meeeeeh dunno what to do and i know all the good games are going to be amd evolved games which is nice but still i dont know i might get the 7970 ghz or the 770 see how it goes first!
said:


m
0
l
May 29, 2013 6:05:30 PM

Guy Parris said:
Guy Parris said:
toastybatch565 said:
10646776,0,1289644 said:
a 660 ti beats the 7950 in the latest games such as far cry 3, crysis 3 and bishock infinite and thats just a normal 660 ti thats not an oc edition the normal 660 ti beats a 7950 boost in these games too. the gigabyte 660 ti oc edition gives an extra 7 to 9 fps over the normal 660 ti, this whole thing about the 660 ti should be beside the 7870 is nonsense the 660 ti beats that card by about 12 fps!. the 660 ti gigabyte oc edition is the card you should go for. the 192 bit only affects what resolution your playing at! if its at 1920x1080p this card is ideal for you. i had a 7950 and had nothing but hassle with drivers and choppy fps you will regret getting that card man thats why i moved to nvidia and its night and day. nvidia has way smoother gameplay, better driver support and uses less power consumption. you can get a 3gb 660 ti gigabyte for 270. not everyone oc's there card its just voids warranty, runs the card hotter and reduces the cards life. your best getting a factory overclocked card and still having that 3 year warranty to fall back on incase the card dies unless you have another 300 to splash out another card
said:

Now with updated drivers I run Crysis 3 max settings at 30 frames per second and I overclocked it to be even faster. Can your 660 ti do that? And why feed nVidia money. Not only do they make phsyx and make their graphics cards cost more just because of it, but they PAY developers to not develope a physics engine like theirs for their games. There's also the question of why the hell amd wont move their asses and make a physics engine of their own, but at least they aren't ruining gaming for half the PC gamers in the world.











i can run crysis 3 highest setting 45 to 60 fps! but i have been having very bad issues with nvidia drivers!!. so i might be heading back over to AMD if they don't solve these problems. yeah i know they are more expensive but all there cards are better out the box for performance you have to manually overclock AMD cards to get good performance but all factory overclock nvidia cards are overclocked to the max. my 7950 was only factory oc'd to 900 mhz where as the 660 ti is at 1172mhz big difference!. i dont really care about physx i rarely use it i love nvidia for smooth frame rates that's one thing that i noticed was very smooth gameplay. AMD are having latency issues in games still so its either put up with bad drivers for now or come back over to AMD and have choppy frames meeeeeh dunno what to do and i know all the good games are going to be amd evolved games which is nice but still i dont know i might get the 7970 ghz or the 770 see how it goes first!
said:


said:


That's one long sentence lol :D 
m
0
l
May 29, 2013 6:06:54 PM

toastybatch565 said:
Guy Parris said:
Guy Parris said:
toastybatch565 said:
10646776,0,1289644 said:
a 660 ti beats the 7950 in the latest games such as far cry 3, crysis 3 and bishock infinite and thats just a normal 660 ti thats not an oc edition the normal 660 ti beats a 7950 boost in these games too. the gigabyte 660 ti oc edition gives an extra 7 to 9 fps over the normal 660 ti, this whole thing about the 660 ti should be beside the 7870 is nonsense the 660 ti beats that card by about 12 fps!. the 660 ti gigabyte oc edition is the card you should go for. the 192 bit only affects what resolution your playing at! if its at 1920x1080p this card is ideal for you. i had a 7950 and had nothing but hassle with drivers and choppy fps you will regret getting that card man thats why i moved to nvidia and its night and day. nvidia has way smoother gameplay, better driver support and uses less power consumption. you can get a 3gb 660 ti gigabyte for 270. not everyone oc's there card its just voids warranty, runs the card hotter and reduces the cards life. your best getting a factory overclocked card and still having that 3 year warranty to fall back on incase the card dies unless you have another 300 to splash out another card
said:

Now with updated drivers I run Crysis 3 max settings at 30 frames per second and I overclocked it to be even faster. Can your 660 ti do that? And why feed nVidia money. Not only do they make phsyx and make their graphics cards cost more just because of it, but they PAY developers to not develope a physics engine like theirs for their games. There's also the question of why the hell amd wont move their asses and make a physics engine of their own, but at least they aren't ruining gaming for half the PC gamers in the world.











i can run crysis 3 highest setting 45 to 60 fps! but i have been having very bad issues with nvidia drivers!!. so i might be heading back over to AMD if they don't solve these problems. yeah i know they are more expensive but all there cards are better out the box for performance you have to manually overclock AMD cards to get good performance but all factory overclock nvidia cards are overclocked to the max. my 7950 was only factory oc'd to 900 mhz where as the 660 ti is at 1172mhz big difference!. i dont really care about physx i rarely use it i love nvidia for smooth frame rates that's one thing that i noticed was very smooth gameplay. AMD are having latency issues in games still so its either put up with bad drivers for now or come back over to AMD and have choppy frames meeeeeh dunno what to do and i know all the good games are going to be amd evolved games which is nice but still i dont know i might get the 7970 ghz or the 770 see how it goes first!
said:


said:


That's one long sentence lol :D 
said:




lol
m
0
l
!