Nvidia TXAA?

timarp000

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2011
I have tried TXAA with two games so far... COD : Black Ops 2 and Crysis 3!
And to be honest, i am not impressed at all :(

It doesn't give you a sharp image like MSAA! It blurs out all the edges and i feel it looks like an gaming at 1680x1050! Is this normal or am I doing something wrong which is causing this? If There is then tell me how to fix this... If not, MSAA>TXAA.

Click On Image to Enlarge

Observe the text on the keyboard and the Bow... TXAA is all blurry...

cliffro

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2007
So is FXAA it's a post process effect, and on every game I ever tried it on, it did the same. I never really was impressed by it. Sure the performance hit is lower than MSAA, but you already see the visual difference. If I'm playing a less demanding game, I'll use MSAA. If it's newer, I'll just forgo AA altogether, example Crysis 3. During the campaign I never really noticed the lack of it. Only in screen shots do I notice it.

RussK1

Splendid

With the GTX 460 you have to use FXAA. The card would choke on 4XMSAA...

Further - FXAA, TXAA and MLAA are gimmicks for weak cards thus are not a substitute for good old fashioned MSAA when capable hardware is at hand.

timarp000

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2011

i have a 660 ti so i can do 4x MSAA in most games easily... 8x kills it though. But i couldnt make out a difference between 4x and 8x MSAA.

I have a 660 Ti, I can play Cryisis 3 Very High, 4x MSAA and get 34fps

RussK1

Splendid

MultiSample AA is the way to go if a card can handle it... this is where bottlenecks are observed when it comes memory buffer, bandwidth and speed and/or lack thereof. This is where nVidia compromised with the 256-bit (or 192-bit) and 2GB VRAM buffer and end in lesser performance @ higher resolutions.

for me it doesn't if my gpu have the grunt or not i will prefer FXAA over any AA in all games :p

for example in batman arkham asylum i still can hit constant 60fps even with 8 MSAA (i play at 1600x900). but i prefer to use FXAA (via driver) and enable high physx to play the game.

I too find TXAA useless, what is the point of playing at your monitors native resolution if after enabling TXAA it just looks like hardly half that? FXAA is the perfect balance of having only a slight misting effect and still decent AA performance, makes much more sense than just rubbing vaseline on your screen/TXAA.

I haven't had a chance to play a game with TXAA yet, but that screen shot doesn't show me much, but from what i have read, they are different.

MSAA/CSAA only smooths out jaggies around the outside edges of objects. Playing Dragon Age: Origins makes this very apparent. All the weapons on your back, the details on your armor have horrible jagged edges left untouched by MSAA, particularly on some of the chain or scale armor.

SSAA/FXAA/TXAA will not only help out jaggies around the edges, they fix jaggies everywhere. SSAA does a spectacular job fixing jaggies on leaves and other foliage, but also is the most demanding. FXAA does a so so job, but it is post process, so works on any game, even if the game does not offer any other form of AA. TXAA is supposed to be somewhere in between. Because it is fixing jaggies on all parts of the image, it does result in some blurring as that is what AA does, it blurs jaggies.

If the game doesn't have issues with jaggies when MSAA is on, that may very well be the best option, but remember in Crysis, the original, the leaves, and the details on your gun has a lot of aliasing, and nothing you could do fixed it. TXAA fixes those, as well as SSAA and FXAA, though at varying degrees. Crysis would only allow SSAA forced on in its DX9 version.

RussK1

Splendid

I had the same card and when nVidia started offering it through drivers I enabled it full time and disabled AA. Got much more performance out of an older card and Batman is one of those games that it benefits most when used with PhysX. Worked really well on my Alienware M18X R1 with 580m SLI.

timarp000

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2011
I did TXAA High VS MSAA Medium VS FXAA

As you can see above, TXAA is the worst! MSAA i the best but the performance hit is huge! FXAA is a little worse but you get double the FPS of MSAA! So i think MSAA and TXAA are the best

I'll stick with TXAA. I can see minute differences between the screenshots, but not enough to care or notice during gameplay. Basically, I'm going to select what gets me 60fps with virtual vsync and keeps my GPU quieter. The noise change was dramatic in BF3.

timarp000

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2011

I get about 40-50fps with TXAA and 55-65fps with FXAA... click on the image to enlarge it... observe the bow that Prophet is holing and the green security system thing...

My card is OCed so results may be a little higher