E-Vectra Intel 82801AA sound device will not start

kinney

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2001
I have a problem I've been trying to figure out for a long time now and I think its a hardware issue but heres the history of the problem.

The computer is a HP E-Vectra, a Pentium 3-677Mhz or so processor with integrated video,sound and ethernet.
Everything worked fine until I remember messing around with the audio driver for some reason (the native OS for this computer was Windows 2000). Ever since then it has said "Device can not be started" in the properties for the audio controller.

I tried going to XP to see if it was a driver problem hoping XP would offer better support but still the same message. I went to 98SE to see if it would work there and same message. Now I'm back to XP, no longer thinking its a driver or OS issue. I think at one point I tried reinstalling 2000 and that didnt help either.

I tried the HP diagnostics that were on the computer and the diag would lock up once it reached the sound portion.
Then I tried the drivers for 98SE (when 98 was installed) and it didnt help either. Same for now with XP installed, the drivers off HPs site give the same results of "Device can not be started".

I've updated the bios to latest version, updating chipset drivers (under 98SE when it was on), and everyother update from HP and Microsoft.

The only thing that has been added to the computer is a Zoom 56k external modem, but whether the modem is disconnected, uninstalled, off, whatever it does not affect the problem.

I tried to give a somewhat complete description of what I've done but I'm at my ends on this one besides buying a Extigy. Replacing the sound in this computer is not a solution because its an entirely integrated board.

If you don't have a answer, then convince me to buy a Extigy over bothering to use the integrated sound. :)

"dude your getting a dell", is that kid trying to say he wants to stick his 'dell' in you?

kinney

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2001
Anyone? I'm going to have to post this somewhere else if no one answers!
Come on THG badboys, thought we were the cream of the crop of online techies?????

"dude your getting a dell", is that kid trying to say he wants to stick his 'dell' in you?