Moved jack into new room, cannot connect to ISP

dagerx109

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2009
Hey Guys,

I use Windstream in my area, and they installed a jack in a room that none of my PC's are connected to. I recently moved the jack into my office, used the same Cat5e, and followed the same wiring config for the patch on the jack itself that it was originally configured for. I looked to see if there was a DSL filter prior to cutting but there wasn't because we only use the service for data.

The only thing I have changed in the wiring scheme is to cut the wire shorter because the space I was moving the line to is much closer than the room it was originally in.

That being said, I use PPPoE to connect to my ISP. My router cannot connect using PPPoE, and the light on my router that shows internet connectivity doesn't even light up to show that there is power on the line.

I have tried resetting/un-plugging the router to see if it helps ( which it doesn't ). As far as ipconfig/all is concerned it only shows local information only.

I was assured by technicians at Windstream that moving the line will not affect service and as long as you match the patch panel on the jack, internet will work fine. However that isn't the case at all. Is it possible that the line itself is dead, or is there something that I am just not seeing when I originally cut and moved the line?

Any help you guys can provide would be awesome!

Solution
Windstream sets up only a single jack to access the data service to avoid degrading the signal. I've moved mine several times, but you must be absolutely certain to use the correct wired pair in the box using a signal generator and receiver testing from the outside phone box to the jack. That will tell you it is the correct pair for that jack and that the wiring is intact. Then use proper gel cap connectors (Home Depot has them) to make connections, not twisting and electrical tape. I would recommend that if you don't have the equipment to do it, call Windstream and have them come out and do it for you.

RealBeast

Titan
Windstream sets up only a single jack to access the data service to avoid degrading the signal. I've moved mine several times, but you must be absolutely certain to use the correct wired pair in the box using a signal generator and receiver testing from the outside phone box to the jack. That will tell you it is the correct pair for that jack and that the wiring is intact. Then use proper gel cap connectors (Home Depot has them) to make connections, not twisting and electrical tape. I would recommend that if you don't have the equipment to do it, call Windstream and have them come out and do it for you.

Solution