Building new server need help

Deeks

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2011
I am utilizing old parts from a computer and adding a bunch of new hard-drives to make a home file server. From what i've read Freenas is a good route to go and utilize Raid Z rather then using Raid 5 through windows. I had a a couple questions, I am using a Ga-p35-DS4, With a core2duo e6700 2.66ghz, corsair 500w psu, 4gb 800mhz ddr2 ram. I was looking at other using 3tb seagate drives or 2tb seagate drives. I figure if i can support 3tb would be worth it as would save me money then buying a a few more 2tb drives. im planning to make a 6tb usable space server.

Solution
Use 2tb drives, that board does not support UEFI needed for the GPT to deal with those 3 tb drives. Some folks say that you can update to Intel RAID ROM 10.6 to use the 3 tb drives, but that would not do what you want. You could also buy a controller to attach the drives, but IMO the easiest and most reliable thing to do is use 2tb drives.

RealBeast

Titan
Use 2tb drives, that board does not support UEFI needed for the GPT to deal with those 3 tb drives. Some folks say that you can update to Intel RAID ROM 10.6 to use the 3 tb drives, but that would not do what you want. You could also buy a controller to attach the drives, but IMO the easiest and most reliable thing to do is use 2tb drives.

Solution