Eyefinity connection questions

Finger78

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2006
I have searched for an answer but I cannot seem to locate one pertaining to my particular questions.

I am getting ready to purchase 2x 7970's on 3 monitors and I have some questions as the information I read seems to conflict with one another and there seems to be a fair amount of debate on the matter and I need some clear answers to better make a choice. My video card and monitors are listed at the bottom of the post.

Questions:
1. Does Eyefinity require that I run all 3 monitors from a single card in a dual card setup? I would prefer to run all DVI connections to my three monitors 2x DVI form card 1 and 1x DVI from card 2. If the answer to this question is YES then I would like to know the preferred method of connection.

2. I have read that using at least one Displayport is required but I'm unsure if this also applies to dual card setups, with this comes the question of needing an active adapter to hook up to it. My question is if the card and monitor both have display ports will I still require an active adapter?

I will be making these purchases within the next 48 hours so please give me clear answers to my questions.

XFX Double D FX797GTDFC Radeon HD 7970 GHz Edition 3GB 384-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card

Ports
1 x HDMI
2 x Mini DisplayPort
2 x DVI

ASUS VE258Q Black 25" 2ms HDMI LED Backlight Widescreen LCD Monitor w/Display Port & Speakers 250 cd/m2 50,000,000:1 ASCR

Ports
1x D-Sub
1x DVI
1x Displayport
1x HDMI

Finger78

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2006
I did, it does not signify if that is a single or dual card setup, I would assume the post revolves around a single card. Did you read my post before throwing the sticky link?

Finger78

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2006
Or I can stop wasting my time and find another site that can answer my questions. I don't feel its my responsibility to be a part of maintaining the content on this site.