Recent problem with latency spiking

Insanest6849

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2011
I've had the same isp (Bell) for about 4 years now and never had any major issues up until now. About every 10 minutes or so my ping will spike from say 50 to 500ish for a good 2-3 minutes before dropping back down only to repeat 10 minutes later. This has been an ongoing problem for about 2 weeks now, I've checked and no one else is connected to the network outside of my family. I've tried resetting my router/modem multiple times as well as checking for viruses/malware etc. My best guess at this point is that one of the other 2 lap tops operating on the network has some sort of malicious software hampering our connection. Apart from that theory does anyone have any clue as to what my problem may be?

Cyberat_88

Distinguished
Router releases DHCP lease on a time basis, enlarge that time from 10min to 24hrs., assuming your PPOE is on the router, otherwise connect to dsl modem directly and change the IP lease timing. Save settings and restart modem/router.

Insanest6849

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2011
Hi sorry I've been away a while and forgot to check back. It appears I'm still having the problem and its not the DHCP times as they're already set to 72 hours. Also my ISP is bell so the modem I have is technically a router/modem so I can't directly connect it, also PPOE is on the router. I really have no idea what to do and I'm about ready to cancel my ISP at this point as tech support has been very unhelpful (no surprise there).

Cyberat_88

Distinguished
Try talking to a Tier 2 or 3 techie at Bell who can troubleshoot with you. It might be an issue on their server. You can look for a firmware update on the modem-router.
Otherwise look at router setup for anything that would act like a proxy.