Far Cry 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

mike7496

Honorable
Dec 17, 2012
Having issue were Far Cry 3 freezes after just 10 to 15 minutes of Play. My specs are Windows 7 64bit, ATI Radeon XFX HD 7970 Black edition X2 Crossfired. 32 Gb Ram, 1600 Watt PSU, AMD FX8150 at 3.6ghz All my drivers are up to date. I have tried to dump it down to lower settings still does it. Even tried to use just one card Any ideas

Solution
D
Download the precompiled bootable .iso version.

http://www.memtest.org/

Mount the .iso to a cd using a burning program. Nero or Roxio will work if you have them. If not here is a great little free program.

http://www.imgburn.com/

Now in BIOS make your CD drive first in boot order so the computer will boot off of it. Then you can run the program. You will not be able to use the computer of course while it's running. By booting off the CD and not into a Windows environment the computer can check 100% of the RAM since there is none reserved for Windows.

I recommended running it overnight. To truly test 32GB you will need to run it as long as you can. 12 hours minimum. Any errors at all mean a problem. Even one.

maxalge

Champion
Ambassador

1600w power supply??

I'd disable CF and try with just one card to see if you get the same result.

And yeah, WTH with 1600W PSU... Who is the manufacturer?

This isn't your issue, but might want to look at pushing that CPU a few 100 MHz higher. That CPU at that clock rate is probably choking the crap out CF's 7970s.

mike7496

Honorable
Dec 17, 2012
Ill up my cpu to 3.9Hhz and give it a try. And then ill try will just one card.

My PSU is a LEPA, Gold G1600W 80 Plus Gold. I get that response a lot I guess 1600w isnt common. This is my first custum rig. I am an former Marine. We Go BIG or Go Home.

D

Deleted member 217926

Lol 1600w power supply is tripping the breaker at your local substation. Seriously you do know 4 x HD 7970s only need a recommended 1300 watts right? Also you need that 8150 at closer to 5Ghz to get the most out of those cards.

Now as to crashing. Is that game the only thing that causes crashes? Have you ever run memtest to make sure that 32GB of RAM is stable?

mike7496

Honorable
Dec 17, 2012
Yes the only game that causes any issues is far cry 3
I can run BF3 Maxexed Ghost Recon Future Soldier Maxed , Crysis 2 Maxed Deadspace 3 Maxed, Batman Maxed. Im getting Crysis 3 Wed so Ill let you know how that works

ram1009

Distinguished
The extra wattage of your PSU doesn't hurt anything. It's a great insurance policy. You're not tripping circuit breakers anywhere. It's the load that determines how much power is consumed. The size of the PSU doesn't mean anything when determining power consumption.

D

Deleted member 217926

I would still run memtest for at least 12 and more like 20 hours to test all 32GB of that RAM sufficiently. That much RAM can be stressful for some motherboards.

Have you checked your temps?

Overclock the crap out of that CPU. But not until you resolve this issue.

When the game freezes does it just effect the game or does the whole computer lock up?

mike7496

Honorable
Dec 17, 2012
Also you guys seem smarter than me( Keep the Marine Comments to yourselves) But do I need 2 bridges for mu crossfired cards or is 1 good enough. Also I have now over clocked my system to 4.06 GHz and it seems pretty stable Also I ran Memtest but not sure if I am running it right. It wont let me select all unused ram So I ran 4 of them at once no problems found. Something tells me Im doing it wrong. any Advice or di I need to get the pro version

D

Deleted member 217926

Insurance policy for what? The most power hungry single GPU ever released is the GTX 480 and 4 way SLI of those only needs 1500 watts. 1600 watt power supplies are a niche market for extreme overclocking. No, there is no harm in using one except to your bank account especially since the big LEPAs are made by Enermax and that's a good thing.

D

Deleted member 217926

Download the precompiled bootable .iso version.

http://www.memtest.org/

Mount the .iso to a cd using a burning program. Nero or Roxio will work if you have them. If not here is a great little free program.

http://www.imgburn.com/

Now in BIOS make your CD drive first in boot order so the computer will boot off of it. Then you can run the program. You will not be able to use the computer of course while it's running. By booting off the CD and not into a Windows environment the computer can check 100% of the RAM since there is none reserved for Windows.

I recommended running it overnight. To truly test 32GB you will need to run it as long as you can. 12 hours minimum. Any errors at all mean a problem. Even one.

Solution
D

Deleted member 217926

Thanks for the BA but you should have waited to see if we found any errors first. The thread will be closed by the mods now probably.

If I can help more or you have any questions you can PM me.

Status
Not open for further replies.