Slow internet speeds, please help!

devin93

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2011
Hey everyone, I am having some troubles with my internet speeds, firstly the set-up is very simple, its just about 4 devices connected to a regular home router, 2 devices are connected wirelessly and i am having trouble with my desktop PC.

Basically what keeps happening is that it fluctuates between 10Mb/s and as low as 0.8Mb/s, right now its at about 4Mb/s but i cant understand why this keeps happening, I am using a G wireless USB NIC and the laptop (the other wireless device) is fairly new so it should be an N wireless NIC, also it doesn't change my speed when it is being used for browsing and my neighbours only wireless devices are also laptops with N cards I believe and the router is G.

Today i have had 3Mb/s at best which is far worse than normal

Thats pretty much all the information i currently know, any suggestions?

Thanks in advance

MikeKF

Honorable
Feb 27, 2012
What broadband connection do you have?

Is there any specific circumstances that you can narrow it down to such as time of day for when this occurs?

devin93

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2011
I believe we have a 10Mb/s connection, based on speed tests over the last few months its the most logical conclusion, we never get higher and that is its peak, i don't know what we pay for as my parents deal with the bills and are unsure.

There is no specific time, its is completely random, i will say its only been a big issue from this weekend, however nothing has changed since then.

Jantech

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2011
Wireless has many variables that you have to take into account. The wireless connection is a shared connection and the speed will dwindle when multiple users are using it. Also a major factor is your distance from the router and any obstacles in the way, such as walls.
What type of router are you using? Have you tried moving it closer to your computer to see if that is the issue?

TRENDING THREADS