6170 mid unknown format?

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.nokia.ringtones (More info?)

I have taken a 20 second clip of a .wav file, changed the attributes to
8.000kHz, 8bit Mono and saved it, then changed the extension to .mid (plays
ok in winamp/media player) When I send it to my Nokia 6170 i get the error
"file format unsupported".
Does anyone know why this is happening? Or what i need to change during
saving to enable the file to be played.
I use Nero wave editor to clip the file and save as..
Thanks in advance.
1 answer Last reply
More about 6170 unknown format
  1. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.nokia.ringtones (More info?)

    On Sun, 13 Feb 2005 17:51:23 GMT, "Hex9hector"
    <hex9hector@ntlworld.com> wrote:

    >I have taken a 20 second clip of a .wav file, changed the attributes to
    >8.000kHz, 8bit Mono and saved it, then changed the extension to .mid (plays
    >ok in winamp/media player) When I send it to my Nokia 6170 i get the error
    >"file format unsupported".
    >Does anyone know why this is happening? Or what i need to change during
    >saving to enable the file to be played.
    >I use Nero wave editor to clip the file and save as..
    >Thanks in advance.

    If you know for sure it is to be a MID file, then you need a midi
    editor. a MID file is a digital data file. ANY wav file is aN ANALOG
    type file. Even MP3's are essentially analog. To use a sound on a
    computer and play it as a MID file a wave file can be converted. just
    changing the extension will not work.

    Billy, N5WE
    Mississippi

Nokia Ringtone Nokia Format