Your question

Laptop Graphics Upgrade from 6520G HD

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
February 26, 2013 12:30:25 AM

Right now Im running an

A6 3400M 1.4ghz quad core processor

with the 6520G HD display

and 8GB Ram.

I find the display is lacking. It is not as crisp and clear as I would like.

Im looking to upgrade whatever parts necessary (not too computer savy) to get a more crisp clear display...my motivation being, its less strain for my eyes.

Can I get some help/recommendations with this, is it fairly difficult to upgrade the graphics card on a laptop?

Any info on this matter is appreciated

Zachary
a c 91 U Graphics card
February 26, 2013 1:05:42 AM

Hi Zachary

Unfortunately I have to tell you that it is very difficult to impossible just to replace a graphics card on a laptop, upgrading it is pretty much impossible. This is because each laptop has very limited space, and every company designs the fit of all of their components into that tiny case very specifically. Additionally, your battery life would go down the drain if you upgraded.

m
l
a b U Graphics card
February 26, 2013 1:13:22 AM

Also you may run into some problems because you have an Apu in you laptop which means that the Gpu and the Cpu are combined into one, if you want to upgrade the graphics you would really have to upgrade the whole Apu, which may get impractical.
m
l
Related resources
February 26, 2013 2:11:08 AM

so just to give me an idea, what cost, more or less, would we be looking at to upgrade the whole APU? and when you say the whole APU thats the processor you speak of right?
m
l
a c 140 U Graphics card
February 26, 2013 1:32:50 PM

In the simplest terms, the cost would be a new laptop. If the image displayed on the screen doesn't seem as crisp and clean as you think it should be, check the settings within Catalyst Control Center (or AMD Vision Engine Control Center). It may be that a different resolution or other controls would clean things up a bit (generally at a cost of performance).

-Wolf sends
m
l
February 26, 2013 1:53:57 PM

Wolfshadw said:
In the simplest terms, the cost would be a new laptop. If the image displayed on the screen doesn't seem as crisp and clean as you think it should be, check the settings within Catalyst Control Center (or AMD Vision Engine Control Center). It may be that a different resolution or other controls would clean things up a bit (generally at a cost of performance).

-Wolf sends

Thank you wolf. One more question then.

I have the Vision Control Center but it doesn't have all the options that I see when I google pictures all it has is

Pinned
Presets
Hydravision
Performance
Power

it doesn't have stuff like:

Desktop management
Gaming
Video
Audio ETC

So All I can really mess with is Overdrive, Hydra vision and Power management

Is there a way to get more settings on the control center? I tried opening as administration, its the same.

Also,

Say I want to update drivers. in system info under components it shows my Display card as HD6520G

and under control panel <system< it lists A6- 3400M HD

the latter is my processor right? When I go on AMD and want to update drivers I get confused because I am not sure whether to get 3000 series drivers or 6000 series
m
l
a c 91 U Graphics card
February 26, 2013 2:03:45 PM

if you want to update your AMD drivers, get the one for the A6 3400M under the APU section. don't go to the graphics section.

as for your other question, your control center should be fixed with a driver update. otherwise you can always simply check the windows display options to see what resolution you're running at and whether or not you can increase it
m
l
a c 140 U Graphics card
February 26, 2013 2:08:48 PM

Such is the joy of laptop ownership. You are pretty much limited by what options the laptop manufacturer provides. They will turn on and off whatever functions they deem necessary to keep the heat and power consumption within their design limits. Desktop management should be listed, but it's probably shut off in favor of another application (like windows desktop management).

As far as updating drivers, again, such is the joy of laptop ownership. Because these functions have been turned off by the manufacturer, standard drivers from AMD may not be compatible with your laptop. You can check for compatibility by going to www.amd.com. From the "Find a Driver" drop down, make the following selections:

Component Category: Select Notebook Graphics.
Product Line: Accelerated Processors (APU).
Product Model: A-Series APU
Operating System: Whichever OS is installed on your laptop.

Clicking the View Results button should take you to a download page that will allow you to download a tool which should tell you whether or not standard AMD drivers will work for your laptop. Note that this tool will not work on Sony VAIO, Toshiba, or Panasonic notebooks.

If the compatibility tool shows that there are no compatible graphics, then you're stuck with whatever the latest drivers your laptop manufacturer provides.

-Wolf sends
m
l
February 26, 2013 5:35:12 PM

thank you!
m
l
!