Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Slow Network

Last response: in Networking
Share
April 2, 2012 1:06:59 PM

I have 4 Netgear GS748TS switches managed on one IP address. My network has suddenly become extremely slow. It sometimes takes an hour to copy a 15MB file to the server. I have about 50 users and most are working on files using Indesign and QuarkXpress. I have about 5 files servers that are severely affected by the slow network speed. I am not too sure what to check or how to pinpoint the problem.

More about : slow network

April 2, 2012 7:36:51 PM

Start with the switches isolate them one by one and see if any connected together cause issues. Another thing could be a bad network card on one of the computers, or possible a cable of port.
April 2, 2012 8:06:47 PM

Thanks for the suggestions. I will try later. I have the 4 Netgear switches connected together as a stack. Do you think I should disconnect all and add one at a time? I was thinking of resetting them back to factory default and configuring fresh. I just got a message that one of my routers are getting crc's, I'm sure this is related, you think so?
Related resources
April 2, 2012 8:17:48 PM

damaje210 said:
Thanks for the suggestions. I will try later. I have the 4 Netgear switches connected together as a stack. Do you think I should disconnect all and add one at a time? I was thinking of resetting them back to factory default and configuring fresh. I just got a message that one of my routers are getting crc's, I'm sure this is related, you think so?


That's pretty much the issue, try them one at a time. Keep in mind that it may be a jack/PC/cable issue also once you find which one of those switches is having the issue.
April 2, 2012 8:27:37 PM

hang-the-9 said:
That's pretty much the issue, try them one at a time. Keep in mind that it may be a jack/PC/cable issue also once you find which one of those switches is having the issue.


So then once I narrow down which switch , I have to then narrow down which device. Does it sound more likely that there is a bad port on the switch or perhaps bad cable that is affecting all the others? I don't think one bad NIC would affect the entire network but I don't know for sure.
April 2, 2012 8:35:49 PM

Bad NIC will affect the network, I have seen one PC bring down the entire subnet.
April 2, 2012 8:40:28 PM

hang-the-9 said:
Bad NIC will affect the network, I have seen one PC bring down the entire subnet.

Thanks for the bad news, LOL. Any suggestions on how to pinpont bad nic? I'm working with limited resources.
April 2, 2012 9:30:32 PM

damaje210 said:
Thanks for the bad news, LOL. Any suggestions on how to pinpont bad nic? I'm working with limited resources.


If you have managed switches with decent interfaces you would be able to see port errors on the connected port.
!