GTX 670 SLI reference or aftermarket coolers

Status
Not open for further replies.

irfan88

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2010
Hello

I have a reference GTX 670 2GB from Zotac. I am thinking of buying another card and opting for SLI. I am in a dilemma as to which card to choose. I can get an Asus GTX 670 DCII or the Zotac reference card (the same that I currently have with a blower fan). As I would be SLI'ing my cards, which is better aftermarket coolers or reference blower fans?

Just to let you know, I already have a spare twin turbo II unused lying with me. I can sell that if you guys suggest me to go for the reference cards for SLI. Please help me out.

Solution
Well, the phantom is somehow built to have greater exhaust than intake. the only way to really fix that is to get faster spinning fans for the intakes, which would be a bit louder FYI
this is an excellent question. many people believe that blower style fans are better for SLI. personally, I believe that as long as you have sufficient case air-flow, and a side-fan on your case side-panel blowing at your graphics cards, the aftermarket coolers still perform better (at least in my past experiences)

irfan88

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2010

The issue is, I dont have a side fan because my phantom has a clear side panel. I only have 2 intakes (1 140mm - 76 CFM and 1 120mm - 69 CFM). And I have an Air cooler (Thermalright Silver Arrow). I am scared that it will suck all the hot air and my CPU Temps will rise. I am not going to overclock my 670's. So what do you feel now?

oh wow I'm an idiot, didn't even see that we have the same case :p

yeah, the phantom's airflow is pretty good but not top of the line anymore, it would be safer to go with blowers (which are loud and I honestly hate them).

to be honest, how hot does your CPU get on load? you have a really good cooler and you should be able to get away with after market axial coolers if you just add a few fans to your phantom

darkspartenwarrior

Honorable
Jan 15, 2013
If you have bad case ventilation or a case that doesn't support side fans the stock are better because they blow hot air out the back rather than just recirculating hot air over and over until it gets exhausted.

However fans are quieter and if you have good ventilation they can be just as good as blowers, also if you have a floppy bridge you can consider fan cards with a slot spacing between them for adequete airflow between them, if your motherboard allows it.

irfan88

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2010

Currently I have my i7 875K overclocked to 4.13 Ghz and the load temps while running Prime95 are 80 degrees C max. While gaming the max I see is 65 degrees. I already have all the fan slots covered. Below is my setup:

140mm Front Intake (76 CFM)
120mm Bottom Intake (69 CFM)
120mm Front 5.25" Bay Intake (44 CFM)

2 x 200mm Top Fans Exchaust (166 CFM Each)
1 120mm Rear Exhaust (69 CFM)

So my exhaust is greater than Intake at the moment. Is there something that I could change?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS