ASUS CM6850: Looking to upgrade Graphic Card + PSU

Status
Not open for further replies.

sedora

Honorable
Feb 26, 2013
Hi Guys,

First off, I'm completely ignorant when it comes to hardware and PC components so bare with me please. :) For weeks I've been reading posts about PSU and Graphic Cards but I just feel so overwhelmed and confused. I'm not really sure what further information you guys would need regarding my PC so I did a dxdiag and will paste the system information below.

I'm looking to upgrade my Graphics Card (which is a Radeon HD 6770 1gb). We do some gaming but we're mainly looking for a graphics card that can play the Sims 3 + all expansions at max settings without problems. The HD 6770 is decent but we want better and more fluid gameplay. I looked at the GTX 650 ti but to someone like me who doesn't really understand the "anatomy" of graphics cards- it just doesn't seem to be worth upgrading to that card money-wise at least...? http://www.hwcompare.com/13681/geforce-gtx-650-ti-vs-radeon-hd-6770-1gb/

Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601) Service Pack 1
System Manufacturer: ASUSTeK Computer INC.
System Model: CM6850
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2320 CPU @ 3.00GHz (4 CPUs), ~3.0GHz
Memory: 12288MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 12270MB RAM

Thank you in advance to anyone who posts! I deeply appreciate it!

sedora

Honorable
Feb 26, 2013
Thank you for your reply! That is around my budget, not looking to spend over $300 but I do want something powerful even if I have to go over the budget a bit. However, with our main game being the Sims 3 I don't really see the need in spending over $300... correct me if I'm wrong.

That card looks promising though! Out of all the cards I've looked at I never thought of looking at another Radeon HD series... I guess it being because I'm not too thrilled with the one I have. Do you have any nvidia suggestions?

Nvidia doesn't have any card in the <$200 price point. You will only have the 660 which is ~$230. Sims 3 is not a demanding title, I think there is no need to you to spend $300 at it (although if you want to it's fine, I mean, to be more future-proof :lol:). You should be able to run it great on the 7850 I suggested. Perhaps you can stay with it for a pretty long time :D.

sedora

Honorable
Feb 26, 2013
Thanks again! It seems like everyone who has the card you recommended is pleased with it when it comes to the Sims.

Sorry for all the questions but like I mentioned I'm completely ignorant when it comes to PC hardware- I've read things about making sure the PSU will fit and is compatible with the Motherboard... is this PSU compatible with mine or how would I check this info? I have the Speccy program if that would help with more information but I only dl'ed it to watch the temp of my PC.

Generally, Those new PSUs (with ATX v2.3) are simply compatible with new motherboards. I don't know what should I do do make sure that it's 100% compatible, but I haven't heard anyone who have a new-released PSU not compatible with new-released motherboard (LGA 1155/2011, AM3+, etc.).

sedora

Honorable
Feb 26, 2013
Oh okay, thank you. It had me so confused. Thank you so much for your help! I ended up going with the HD 7870 through Amazon since I have Prime. I added the 7850 to my cart and before I could find the right PSU to add to my cart the last 7850 had sold. I can't complain though the 7870 was only about $10 more. :) Thanks again you've been a great help!!

Status
Not open for further replies.