Driver Install: the INF file was not found

Status
Not open for further replies.

kevinteasdale

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2010
Hello,
how to fix this problem, seems lot of ppl have had the same issue but there hasnt been a fix to this. if anyone ever ran into this problem and successfully fixed it plz [ personal Email deleted by mods]. i know the fix has to be something not related specifically to graphics but something more broad for example i need a new .net frame (just an example, i don't need a new .net) because my w7 can't/won't even update its Microsoft Security Essentials and audio drivers. so plz no newbs say "do a clean install of your gfx drivers by blah blah blah"... NO. ive been doing clean installs for years, just happen to run across this problem when updating my drivers last time and ive been doing it the same way everytime. and my pc specs wont help you cuz seems various cards and pc specs have same problems and no solutions whatsoever and you'll just focus on components when thats wrong as well cuz like i stated, this problem seems universal to all specs. i dont have system discs so thats not even a solution. just reply "your screwed" if you had this problem and never fixed it.

kteasdale

Honorable
Mar 12, 2012
fine was hoping to avoid unneccessary crap and was looking for someone with experience with this specific problem which is why i wanted someone with knowledge on inf files dissapearing:

e5400 multi core 3.81ghz (stock 2.7ghz)
asus hd5850 (stock 725mhz oc to 900mhz while gaming)
ga-ep45t-usb3p rev 1.0
6gbs ddr3 1333 (left stock) no name brand
650 watt corsair psu
h50 corsair water cooled
w7 home "premium"
full tower case
5x120mm fan
standard 7200 rpm hdd 1 terabyte

temps always stay low, out performs i3's i5's with more recent gfx cards for some odd reason. can play any modern game no problem unless they need updated drivers (only ones i couldnt play was the latest duke nukem and serious sam cuz of outdated drivers... but i can play crysis 3 and dead space 3?...stupid developers...)

if you need more specifics ask, if you need more specifics on above components i dont want your "help" because then i know more than you and i dont know crap.

so once again, ppl who have experience dealing with inf files contact me.

hytecgowthaman

Honorable
Nov 28, 2012
what's u r problem now ? download latest drivers in manufacturer website. full scan u r system in superantispyware pro trial before update drivers. update os automatically update best drivers(not latest) .install .net framework and latest directx. try game booster freeware before gaming. etc...

Kevin

I've read this thread twice, and I don't see something very important. When is it that you get the message that the .inf file was not found? I assume during driver install, but there are several steps to that process, and it can be started different ways.

Is the machine detecting new hardware? Are you going into the device manager and doing an update to the driver directly? Are you running a downloaded driver package?

I can see how this could happen during an audio driver install, but do you actually mean that it happens during the installation of Security Essentials? Also, can you go into your system event viewer (just type event viewer into the search box in the run menu) for more details on what happened? The event viewer shows messages by time, so perhaps you could re-run the failing process and check the latest messages.

Please see your PM. Private Messages can be seen by going to the main Forum menu (where you choose a forum) and scrolling to near the bottom.

kteasdale

Honorable
Mar 12, 2012

exactly my point guys ^ i dont need dumb common sense advice like this or ppl who are trying to get a "higher rank" from this forum.

kteasdale

Honorable
Mar 12, 2012

thanks for this post man, the only intelligent one ive seen. ofc i download directly from amd site for new drivers and when i run the install/update everything is fine until the display driver starts to install and then i get a dialog box error saying: driver install fail: inf file not found. then when looking at the end report shows that the audio driver had failed as well. and with MSE, ever since i had the INF file problem, seems windows update has a problem updating anything (fails most updates or takes many attempts to update one thing like MSE definitions). so let me try what you stated above and thanks again and ill try to get back asap.

kteasdale

Honorable
Mar 12, 2012
alrighty wyomingknott i just ran the install package that i downloaded from amd site (i dont use device manager as i like to have ccc install all at once instead of doing everything in steps and thats how i had been updating/installing my drivers for years with no problem) i just looked at the event viewer and its all greek to me:

Faulting application name: Kdbsync.exe, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x4f67a718
Faulting module name: unknown, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x00000000
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x00000000
Faulting process id: 0xb3c
Faulting application start time: 0x01ce14ba906955d5
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\AMD AVT\bin\Kdbsync.exe
Faulting module path: unknown
Report Id: ce76fc2a-80ad-11e2-9384-6cf04975320c

this was reported under windows logs, sub category application and level error. next is the information in windows logs sub category information time stamped after error:

Fault bucket 2904747610, type 1
Event Name: APPCRASH
Response: Not available
Cab Id: 0

Problem signature:
P1: Kdbsync.exe
P2: 0.0.0.0
P3: 4f67a718
P4: StackHash_0a9e
P5: 0.0.0.0
P6: 00000000
P7: c0000005
P8: 00000000
P9:
P10:

Attached files:
C:\Users\Kevin Teasdale\AppData\Local\Temp\WERA70B.tmp.WERInternalMetadata.xml

These files may be available here:
C:\Users\Kevin Teasdale\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportArchive\AppCrash_Kdbsync.exe_75bd144798504ddb3ca4e3c7d276ff4ab1399668_0307b35a

Analysis symbol:
Rechecking for solution: 0
Report Id: ce76fc2a-80ad-11e2-9384-6cf04975320c
Report Status: 0

Well, now there's more information. I personally haven't got the vaguest idea what it means, but the information is out there. If you are a little nicer to the posters (you are right on the edge of being banned for being rude to people who are trying to help you, someone who knows this stuff may be able to weigh in now.

I cannot give you concrete, useful information on this fault; it's Greek to me too. I'm surprised that there's only a message about the keyboard, and not one about the video. I can and will tell you what I would do in this situation.

First, ask Tom's. Done, no joy yet.
Second, restore my previous system backup. This is a matter of personal taste and you may not want to; I restore my system at the drop of a hat. If you do that, and still have the problem with an installation that was known to work, you look for a hardware issue. Or a system corruption that happened a while ago. Your current problems may all be a symptom of a broken installer package.

Third, go into Device Manager and uninstall both of the offending devices. They probably have little yellow exclamation points next to them.
Fourth, reboot and re-install the previous video driver. The audio driver may be fixed automatically, but have a downloaded copy handy.
If things go well from there, you can either be happy that things work or re-download the driver and try again. Bear in mind that this could always be a coincidence.

Would someone with more experience please weigh in on this? Kevin, you could also start a new thread with just your last two posts; a fresh thread with clearer information could attract people with the experience that you need.

Good luck

kteasdale

Honorable
Mar 12, 2012
yeah sorry if i seem aggravated, ive been looking for a fix to this problem for some time now and i usually get response along the lines of "do a proper install..." and honestly i do know how to do a proper install and i know more than one way of doing it(download from amd site[ofc], running package, update from device manager, update from windows update...so on...) but im 90% sure of what my problem is. its my registry. and i dont have a back up disc or repair disc or a windows7 disc so... im screwed. unless theres a way to fix registry w/o all said here. so new question: would it be viable for me to just pick up a new hdd and new w7 OS since prices have gone down and just keep all my components? or am i better off building a new pc.

Building a new PC is always fun. If the one you have meets your needs, then use the money for a short vacation, instead.

If you built the first rig with a retail copy of Win7, then there's no need to buy a new one. You've got one license, and you could re-install it on the old hardware or retire the old hardware and transfer the license to the new one (might require a phone call to Microsoft).

In either case, pick up an external drive and do system backups. I find them to be especially useful during a system build. I backup often. If I mess up an installation, I just restore my last backup. No pain.

darielab

Honorable
Mar 6, 2012
I had a similar problem after using Driver Fusion to remove my last AMD drivers. I tried some of the solutions posted elswhere (remove ATI/AMD registry manually, use ccleaner & driver fusion in safe mode before re-installing, re-installing via Windows device manager). None of this worked. I didn't have a recent system backup either :S
The only thing that worked in the end, was a repair install of Windows.

Status
Not open for further replies.