[SOLVED] Using a GTX 460 in a Mac Pro - Install Help

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Hi,

I was wondering if it is possible to use a GTX 460 1gb card as the sole graphics card in a mac pro (ie: to be able to use it for the mac and windows side). I dont think they're are any issues with using it on the windows side, but I wasn't sure if it would need to be 'flashed' or anything like that to become functional for the mac side. And if it does need to be flashed is there a handy guide out there on how to do so (I have tried googling for it but havent had much luck). I found this site http://www.downloadatoz.com/driver/articles/use-nvidia-geforce-gtx-480-graphics-on-mac-for-faster-gpu.html but I am not sure if it applies to the 460 model or if i'd have to find different drivers?

Thank you in advance for any help you can give, I am sure there are plenty of other mac users that would love to be able to use this great (affordable) card in their systems. :)

KomputerIlliterate

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2010
I ended up just getting a gtx 460. The only issue is (I purchased msi's cyclone) that it comes with two cables to hook up the graphics card to the power supply. The graphics card has two pci 6 pin slots and the power supply has the same, but to connect them they box comes with a 6 pin to 4 pin cable... so I am not sure how you are supposed to hook the graphics card into the power supply since the only cables they supply are to connect the 6 pin graphics card slot into a 4 pin female slot.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Maybe there is a 4 pin to 6 pin converter?

Status
Not open for further replies.