ATX Power/AT case

G

Does anyone know anything about installing an ATX power supply in an AT case??? Any advice(other than forget it) will be appreciated.

sturm

Splendid
as far as i know the power connectors are different. plus ur old motherboard wont be able to support the software poweron/off. if u are replacing the motherboard ur best bet is to get a new case with an atx power supply already in it. someone correct me if im wrong

svol

Champion
It would fit, but you will need an AT baord that support a ATX PSU, because ATX is a lot different from AT. A normal ATX board will probably not fit in a AT case, unless it is an old AT/ATX one which supports both.

<b>THGC:</b> before: :frown: :eek: , after: :smile: :cool: .

G

Thanks for the replies. What I'm doing is purchasing a motherboard that supports at/atx power and is at sized. Trying to save a couple of dollars since I have 2 at sized cases that are just sitting there.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Bad_Hair on 04/02/02 01:14 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

hammerhead

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2001
Just checked the PSU's on two PC's nearby on a rack (one AT, one ATX). It seems the ATX's mounting holes are differently configured to the AT's but it does have alternative holes which match the AT's case configuration.

So check first (it's only four screws after all).

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Any standard ATX case will simply bolt into an AT case, you will however need to figure out a way to switch the board on (you can always use the reset button as an ATX power switch).
AT boards usually have severe limits as to how much current they can supply the AGP port, limiting your choices of video cards. An ATX power supply my help, since it has additional voltages, I'm not sure though.

What's the frequency, Kenneth?